Logo

Evinrude thrust washer gone on prop

Your statement of "that's how loose it was after I hit reverse" strongly suggests that it wasn't loose before you hit reverse.

The above would indicate the the propeller when put into reverse pulled the propeller shaft out of the lower unit somewhat to create that space!

Check that propshaft for excessive play.

Which has always been there, I tightened it til my hands cramped, then my step dad came behind me and tightened it even more. Guess I need to hit the gym again lol

I wasn't clear about when your uncle back the boat into a rock; was the motor running and in reverse when he backed it into a rock or was it when he was launching the boat? Trying to figure what else can slip, Ideally the hub should slip, but sometimes they are old and rotten and don't do the job right causing damage in gears and shafts. The lower shaft doesn't look like it can take much of a hit

As NGRNUKE wen my uncle crumbled the old prop he just whacked one of the blades really good launching. But that happened 2 years ago. This was before I ever owned it. The power head blew from overheating and rod bearing failure. (One thermostat completely gone) after that it sat for 2 years. Then I finally got it in January, put on a reman Powerhead, and nothing prop or gear case wise type issues til last month. But the new prop hub looks like it's been spinning on the thrust washer too. Which is also brand new

Is it also possible the thrust washer needed for the new prop is slightly different then the one for my gear case? My part number is 0127084, but there's no part
number for the one specifically for the prop. All I get is ODTW.

It's a separate component until the propeller is securely tightened up against it... then it spins along with the propeller.

Okay. If you looked at the pictures I just posted it definitely doesn't look like it's spinning with it.. The prop nut hasn't come loose yet either. I believe the thrust washer made for my specific gear case maybe a little different then the Solas prop that I just bought. I matched the part numbers on the thrust washer for the outboard gear case, but not for the prop

I am not sure about the washer. I am gonna give a scenario, not saying this is the case but sounds similar. So I had several OMC stringer drives with split shafts. If I remember right they were close to the water pump. So what would happen is the hubs wouldn't slip when people hit rocks or other things and the the inside of the 2-pc shafts would slip and strip a little. You would never know it till you try to hit WOT and you would here a whine or stripping sound. needless to say, the pressure would cause the slip and I couldn't get to WOT. On the first one I thought it was a prop hub or something. Then I took it apart and found the striped shafts. So with 2-piece shafts I am wondering if you might be experiencing something like this since the engine did hit something and would relay some of the shock up the shaft. I don't know if these shafts can do this or not. The OMC stringer shafts had crappy teeth and was little wonder that they slipped. Anyway this occurs under great pressure that the slipping is even know. I just wanted to put this thought out there and see what people might think. Again, not sure that is even possible with your drive.

It looks to be just a one piece shaft. As far as I can see. This problem never happened the first two months of running the boat with the remanufactured Powerhead. Just one day it started slipping. And then it just got gradually worse. I haven't hit anything with the prop yet. I did slide up on a rock at the ramp while idling to the ramp, but it never hit the prop, it just slid off with the skeg Gaurd. And the problem was doing it before I slid on the rock or stump

It is a two piece shaft you need to pull the water pump and then I believe you can just pull the upper shaft out others here would know better I`m just going by the parts diagram.

If its stripped it would do it all the time and the gear oil will have metal particles in it..In my 35+ years NEVER seen or heard a 2 piece shaft stripping on a outboard unit

I don't wanna jinx myself lol cause this boat is bad luck constantly, but it's my now deceased Papaws boat and I'm doing all I can to keep it going. Anyway I'm not too concerned on it being the gear case area causing the issue. Everywhere I've read if the hub has circular marks on it from where it rubs on the thrust washer, which I have on the new prop and new thrust washer, then it's slipping.

lol, that is just as insane as the shaft slipping. (under higher pressure on the stringers, the shaft will slip, but less under low pressure). So you think you got a bad prop/hub new? Hopefully it is that easy. Good luck. As far a the shaft on the outboards, I have no idea, It was more wondering than anything. I would much rather have a bad hub that a stripped shaft and those are crazy expensive. Did you do a hub test?

Yes and at first I thought it had passed it, but then i mad the lines again the second time, I couldn't remember if the other ones were 100% perfect or just slightly off, but I did make sure the second time, ran it again, took the prop off, and the lines were slightly off from where it was before. On top of that the outer rubber bushing is already scored, along with the metal part of the hub where it sits on the thrust washer

Yeah they normally don't let you return props
once its been used but because I just bought it they are letting me,which is good cause I'd raise hell to them if they didn't. And yeah the old prop is slipping as well, but actually not as bad as the new one, which is oretty
sad. It wouldn't let me hit wot at all(the new one)

did you check the prices of props on this site, I found some prices to be cheaper than others. I like their selection of props too. What prop are u running and what one whould you like to run?

Back