Logo

Evinrude thrust washer gone on prop

Georgiaboy67

Advanced Contributor
I have a 97 evinrude 115 hp outboard. E115eleua. Powerhead is a reman. It's been running fine up til recently . Recently I've started having issues running straight on calm water. No weight adjustment, no touch of cav plate, trim tabs, motor mount, nothing. Just randomly started acting like the motor was ventilating/cavitating. Rpms jump up, speed drops. Original prop. Doesn't matter if I slow down or not it still sounds like it's catching air or something. Problem started out where I would slow down and it sounds like it caught air, now it's gotten a lot worse. Did the scratch test to see if prop hub is spun. Everything lined up. Now I did notice that there isn't a thrust washer or spacer on my prop.. What would happen if I continue to run it without that? It has a tab washer, and the nut and cotter pin, but that's it.. Please
help!!!

thrust bushings i think prevent the prop from pushing forward a rubbing the lower unit housing, parts list have different items for 3 or 4 blade props and 20 or 25 inch shafts.

looks like bushing has moved forward, shaft is beveled , bushing is beveled also, bushing should stop at bevel

Last edited:
The propeller shaft has a raised bevel...... the thrust washer has a machined away bevel on the hole that slides over the propshaft. The thrust washer bevel slides up against and seats on the propshaft bevel.

Is that the thrust washer I see in the picture?

If the thrust washer is actually missing, the propeller hub will ride directly against the lower unit (gearcase housing) and tear the gearcase to bits.

Curious.... Did you change the propeller at some time in the past? If so, it's possible that the thrust washer was stuck in the propeller you removed and you didn't take notice at the time.

Last edited:
Well it's prob been a long time. That might be the thrust washer actually. Guess it's easier to notice it in the picture then in person with the sun beaming down. It was my uncles boat, the Powerhead blew. But he had crumbled the old aluminum prop that was bigger then this one. So he put this original prop back on. He snapped the blades into a rock while backing it in the water. Pretty sure if it's been missing for this long running it the last 3-4 months the lower unit would be noticeably damaged I assume?

Can I go out there with a flat head and see if it'll pop out? I don't see really any damage on the lower unit from the prop so I guess that has to be it

Guessing could be very expensive! I'd suggest that you have someone look at what you have there as I do not see a bevel on that propshaft.

Also, what appears to be a thrust washer in that photograph is really scored, and it's difficult to tell via the picture if the center portion of that thing is a seal or part of what appears to be the washer.

Again, also..... spaced about 1/16" of a inch from what appears to be the thrust washer's outer edge is another separate badly scored material that I suspect is a portion of the aluminum gearcase. It would be better if you have someone who is somewhat experienced in outboard repairs to take a glance at what you have there.

Looks to me like the thrust washer is in place on the prop shaft in the first picture . Furthermore, the paint is clearly visible on the gearcase where it would be destroyed if run without the thrust washer. As for the circular wear, better repeat the spun prop hub test. It certainly looks like it has been slipping. But it could be from a different prop that did have a spun hub.

EDIT: Wording added

Did you look at the second picture? It was the inner hub on the prop, slip marks are on it too. Tomorrow I have a new prop coming in, will test it and let y'all know. If the entire problem goes away, then all is well and we know it was the prop. Y'all have been such a great help!!

Cancel that. Found an old thread on how to remove it. Just popped right out like they said. Definitely the thrust washer. Hub looks spun from the inside of the prop so yes. Definitely getting new thrust washer as well. Hoping this one came with it. Never even gave me the option to buy it which concerned me

Have you tried heating it with a torch? be careful not to get the shaft hot you dont want to damage the propshaft seal can you get a large pair of plumbing pliers heat it up some and see if you can get it to spin off? Grab the shaft with vice grips wrapping the splines with a rag heat the washer and grab it with water pumps?

I just got it to pop right off. I just got a pair of needle nose pliars, stuck it on the washer, and bent the pliars toward me just a tad and gave it a quick little pop and off she goes. No Stength necessary

I know It said it was included, but the people I bought it from said they weren't sure. But I had ordered the cotter pin and the nut and spacer

Thanks. I will let y'all know how it goes. We got storms coming tomorrow so prob won't hit the lake til Sunday. Have to work but won't be til late afternoon. Plus I have my last new ignition coil coming in so want to test it all at once

Is it really necessary that I buy a new thrust washer with the new prop? Or can i leave the old one on there? And do I need to lubricate everything ?

If it fits, run it. Just make sure the prop doesn't rub on the gearcase. And yes, smear some waterproof grease on the shaft.

Did a test run today. Ran good for a moment. Then the same problem came right back. Got real scared that I spun this hub too, hopefully not. Put boat on the trailer and the nut has loosened, all I can say is thank the lord for cotter pins!! They gave me this plastic spacer, but I've read that the plastic ones are known to let these prop nuts slip. That's why I have the old props metal tab washer. Will let you know how it goes again.

The plastic spacer has nothing to do with a propeller hub slipping.... it merely keeps the propeller from moving a short distance back and forth when shifting to reverse or vice versa. Personally I've never seen a plastic spacer break to allow that to happen.

For that nut to loosen, something had to move in front of it. Has that lower unit been worked on recently?

No the foot on it has been good so far. It never came loose on the old prop, when I had the metal tab washer on it I never had to tighten it that far, with this plastic spacer I evidently had to tighten it way more with the wrench.i tightened it when I got home and boy I don't think it was tightened enough the first time, i was surprised on how much more I had to turn it to tighten, if that don't work I'm going back to the old tab washer. The prop nut never came loose before ". And I know a hub slipping had nothing to do with a nut coming loose. But before I knew that the nut was loose I thought it was slipping again. Guess the prop was just turning freely. Hopefully I didn't spun the hub though..

Is that a used prop or a new one? The nut only holds the prop on it does not keep it from slipping. I can almost guarantee the hub is not spun on a new prop if it is used you likely bought someone elses headache.

Ihope not. It looks like it was spinning though, but the nut was extremely loose too. Soon as I hit reverse.. But it wasn't right enough I don't think. And yes this is a brand new prop

Could the loose prop cause similar signs of when the old prop hub was spun? Cause there was play in it before I retightened it last night and that prop nut could be hand tightened by a baby that's how loose it was after I hit reverse

Back