Logo

Is this a bad stator?

ohana

Hello, I have a 2001 Johnson 150 looper (model RJ150VXSIF) that can not go over 3500 rpm WOT, carbs have been rebuilt, new fuel, plugs, compression good, power pack and coils replaced, prop changed...I removed flywheel and it "looks" bad, but wanted some other opinions on a sight only basis...I have not checked it with a meter yet..
She starts, idles and runs fine at 3000, 3200, up to 3500
Also note that I installed a floscan gauge and she burns 8 gallons per hour at 2800 (20 MPH GPS), 10 gallons per hour at 3000 (22 mph GPS) but jumps to 17 gallons per hour at WOT 3500 rpm..boat is a light 21 ft center console
IMG_6452.jpg20160518_191620_resized.jpg
Thank you

Last edited:
I can't make out the condition of the stator via the pictures, sorry.

If the two black coils at the rear portion of the stator have been melting down... dropping a sticky looking substance down on the powerhead, then yes, the stator is faulty and should be replaced regardless of whatever reading you may obtain from it.

The other smaller coils pertain to the charging system. If the charging system is functioning, then obviously that portion of the stator is okay.

Thank you, another question, can the stator on these motors effect the high speed WOT running/power/rpm?
Since they do not have high speed coils?..

I can't make out the condition of the stator via the pictures, sorry.

If the two black coils at the rear portion of the stator have been melting down... dropping a sticky looking substance down on the powerhead, then yes, the stator is faulty and should be replaced regardless of whatever reading you may obtain from it.

The other smaller coils pertain to the charging system. If the charging system is functioning, then obviously that portion of the stator is okay.

Thank you, another question, can the stator on these motors effect the high speed WOT running/power/rpm? Since they do not have high speed coils?..

If those black coils are melting down, yes. The higher the rpm, the hotter that stator becomes.

Thank you, I am hoping the new stator will fix my WOT low rpm issue..
Yes the black coils are melting down....

I don't know if replacing the stator will cure your problem BUT it needs replacing regardless. Let us know how you make out.

Back