Logo

87 merc 60hp trigger tes results - these numbers ok?

FstaRockr Burns

Regular Contributor
got trigger out of motor -I have a black, white, brown and purple wire -

readings as followed:

bk - wh : 742
bk - br : 1221
bk - purple : 1195

wh - br: 1953
wh - purple: 1927

br-purple: 2400

what do these mean? I wasnt sure if i measured them correctly, is my trigger ok?

I am troubleshooting a high speed miss / half power issue with bad spark..

Motor starts / idles VERY easily, just NO power above 2k rpms, and has basically half the power it used to(!).. timing light showed light on all 3 cylinders - either way...

my stator is currently in the fire (literally) - im burning off the plastic moulding! I will try rewire it or send it to a guru whose been doing it for 30 years -

yes i wish I was in the US and could speedily order a shiny CDI replacement but thats not the case! We have to make plans down here!

From what you've written I'd say the high speed circuit in the stator is shot. Remove the red and blue wires from the stator and check to ground.

Jeff

From what you've written I'd say the high speed circuit in the stator is shot. Remove the red and blue wires from the stator and check to ground.

Jeff

Hi - yes thats how i tested it - with the whole thing disconnected.. black and red were shorting - and from my symptoms (no power past early acceleration) and perfect starting / idling -

well - at least i didnt go and melt down a perfectly good stator!

Winder guy has been doing stators for almost 20 years - quoted me $45 to rewind - we will see! ill send him the ohm readings for all the circuits.. but yes - had to put the whole thing in a fire to melt off the plastic!

I did notice there was a meta pin in the plastic when trying to open it with a chisel - any idea what this could be? looked like a round metal pin - not 100% sure where it was exactly..

Hey thanks for that!

Since the trigger is in my hand all i can do is ohms tests for now:

Intermittent firing on one or more cylinders:

1. Check stator and trigger resistance and DVA output.

2. Check the trigger resistance and DVA output as given below:

Wire Color Check to Wire Color Resistance DVA (Connected)

Purple (#1) White wire (#2) 800-1400 4V or more
Brown (#3) White/Black wire (#4) 800-1400 4V or more
Purple (#1) Engine GND Open 1V or more
White (#2) Engine GND Open 1V or more
Brown (#3) Engine GND Open 1V or more
Wht/Blk (#4) Engine GND Open 1V or more

Also - dont have a DVA meter.. building my own but waiting for parts to arrive -

purple to white: 1922
brown to black: 1218
brown to white: 1950

it is 25 degrees celsius here - and not sure how to test to ground with trigger in my hand?

fyi I have white, black, purple and brown - no combination wires.. is my trigger toasted as well?

also - on trigger: brown shorts to white AND black, not purple, and purple also shorts to white and black..

and white and black also short..

basically the only two wires that DONT short are purple to brown.. ??

Back