Logo

Voltage output high ?

flabob1

Regular Contributor
New day fishing and a new problem . I have twin 2004 150 HPDI engines . My left engine reads 18 volts and my right engine reads 13.5 to 14 volts. Eighteen volts seams to high to me. Is there any adjustment I could make . Any help as always are welcome and thanks ... Bob

18v is too high..this is probably a bad regulator...one question just out of curiosity...is the battery new on the engine that reads high?

18v is too high..this is probably a bad regulator...one question just out of curiosity...is the battery new on the engine that reads high?

Yes it's a new battery , I replaced both engine batteries at the same time about a month ago.

Thanks for the help guys.
I replaced the rectifier/regulator and now it reads 12v and sometimes 11.5.
Now onto my other problems. I will post it .

Never thought of it being to Low . What should the voltage be ?. The voltage reading is on the Yamaha indicator. Do you know where it is taken from ?
The batteries are new . I have one for the engine and the other is the house battery.
I installed a blue star battery switch and a sensing relay . It lets you charge both batteries when underway but prevents you from using you engine battery when stopped. Could this have some effect on the low voltage some how ?

voltage on a fully charged battery should be in the 12.7 range...when the engine is running it should go above that..i have no idea where the ''Yamaha indicator'' is getting that reading but the boat voltmeter should be wired to the voltage coming off the battery...charge the batteries and see what the indicator reads..use a meter and compare the reading of the indicator and the voltage between posts of the battery..if they don't read the same then you probably have a wiring error.

when did you install the battery switch?..if it was done during or since you was troubleshooting the other problem I would uninstall it and go with original wiring until I got the voltages right...you could have two problems now ...this will eliminate the 2nd one if present..

I am not a fan of charging two batteries with the output of an outboard....but that's beside the point now...

I found the problem why I was reading low voltage. I was all the time reading the battery voltage and not the output from the regular. After having a battery go dead on the water I swapped a battery and than one ran down. No output , Why ?
My fault,. When changing the regular I didn't hook up a ground wire. Easy to do when you have to remove 5 ground wires . No ground , no output. My fault...Murphy's Law

Back