Logo

2005 Johnson 140 hp 4 stroke Tilt-Trim Issue

Noochie1100

I have a problem with the trim on the throttle lever switch that I can trim up but not down. The trim switch on the motor cowling works fine in both directions. I can trim all the way down before I begin applying throttle and then trim up to plane the boat. Are there 2 relays for the trim and could I have a bad relay or a break in the wiring for the down trim?

Most likely either a bad wire. If you can pull the tilt trim switch on the helm you will see three wires - blue, green, and red or some other color to the center post of the switch. With power on jumper the center terminal (power) to the green and engine should tilt down. Then jumper center wire to blue and engine should go up. If that works you have a bad switch. Some of those can be disassembled cleaned and repaired. Others can't. If the jumper does not work in one direction then you have a bad wire or a bad connection at the relay.

The relay would not be bad since it works properly from the switch at the cowling, is either a dad switch are a broken connection coming from the switch at the helm.

Back