Logo

Turbocharged CN4-33

ztopgun

Has anyone done this upgrade yet ? If so can you describe the process like any mods in injectors, fuel pump ect. and which turbo with boost results. After all Ive read I belive 10 psi is a safe boost with good cooling. Not sure if theres oil sprayed pistons in this engine either but looking forward to the rebuild. Thanks.

I would be happy to hear from anyone who has upgraded to turbo on any engine, I read EGTs actually go down and that would be a good thing ! :cool:

I have turboed and intercooled my SD33. Egts are dependent on how much fuel you add.
If you have your boost set so you burn all the fuel before reaching max boost, the excess charge will bring your EGTs down.
I am running 15lb boost and keep my EGTs below 700c.

I have turboed and intercooled my SD33. Egts are dependent on how much fuel you add.
If you have your boost set so you burn all the fuel before reaching max boost, the excess charge will bring your EGTs down.
I am running 15lb boost and keep my EGTs below 700c.[/]

Thanks fitznooney, I like those numbers and I dont think I even need too play with the fuel pump at all. 10 lbs boost should be fine for a cleaner burn and longer life. Another question is if you prefer water or oil in your turbo bearing. If waters used can antifreez survive the heat ? I like the thought of pluming it to a fresh water tank for a hot water supply tank. kill two birds with one turbo. Of course the custom exhaust through water tank is a good idea too. I hate wasting all that good heat, I mean energy.

Thanks fitznooney, I like those numbers and I dont think I even need too play with the fuel pump at all. 10 lbs boost should be fine for a cleaner burn and longer life. Another question is if you prefer water or oil in your turbo bearing. If waters used can antifreez survive the heat ? I like the thought of pluming it to a fresh water tank for a hot water supply tank. kill two birds with one turbo. Of course the custom exhaust through water tank is a good idea too. I hate wasting all that good heat, I mean energy.

I am running 15lb boost and keep my EGTs below 700c.[/]

I think you might be a bit confused on how the turbo bearing is lubricated and cooled.
They either it is oil lubricated and oil cooled or oil lubricated and water cooled.
The water does not come in contact with the bearing. It runs through a separate passage around the bearing housing.
I have the second setup in my boat.
Hear is a pic of the motor and turbo. The oil feed is at the to and the water is taken from the thermostat housing and back to the water pump.New Turbo Aug 13 001.jpgNew Turbo Aug 13 001 (2).jpg

Back