Logo

Trim/Tilt issue - where is this oil coming from

Glen Pounders

IMG_1181.jpg

1981 90hp Evinrude E90TLCIM - with 2 wire tilt motor.
Ok, I have some problems with my trim/tilt. I tried the manual release to get the engine all the way down but it won't go any further than this. Also, when I started the engine I am getting this leak. Looks like it is come from some where near the top, right under engine. Any ideas. Also, any tricks to get the engine down to 0 trim? I removed the release plug all the way and lifted the engine up a few times to try and get it down with no luck.

Thanks

Last edited:
There's normally a snap ring designed to prevent that manual release valve for being accidentally removed. Check to make sure that you didn't force it past the snap ring (the ring may have been removed previously) and damage the "O" Ring seal in the process.

You could have disconnected the electric motor wiring at its connector and run small jumper wires to it to see if the electric motor was faulty... however, you're low on fluid now.

Just to be clear I have 2 separate issues that might be related and I don't have history with this motor. First, the trim/tilt motor is not working so I tried to manual release but it doesn't appear to be going down to zero. Second, with release plugged back up when I start the engine and idle for little bit I get this oil leak. I assume it is hydraulic fluid but can't tell where it's coming from. Maybe the up piston has a leaky seal or other seal.

PS The snap ring did come all the way out and I could not get back in. Any tips to get back in ?

If the PTT electric motor doesn't operate when jumper wires are attached directly to it, then obviously the electric motor requires replacing. The complete PTT unit must be removed from the engine in order to remove/replace that electric motor.

With the PTT unit removed, the source of the leak should reveal itself.

To raise/lower the engine manually, the manual release valve should be backed out two turns only. When filling the self bleeding reservoir, the engine must be tilted to its full up position.

With the proper size snap ring pliers, inserting the snap ring shouldn't present a problem UNLESS the original ring had broke and a small piece of it is still in the slot. It's really not needed unless you have intentions of backing it out while in the water.

Thanks, my next step is to really test the motor with some jumper wires. Then determine next steps. This is on a pontoon and I really don't need the trim/tilt, I just need it at zero and dont want any leaks because it will certain let water in a destroy the entire system.

IMG_1199.jpg
OK, I think I solved the mystery of where the oil was coming from. Looks like the top carburetor as a leaky float bowl gasket. I guess I will need to order the rebuild kits. Anything else I should order just in case? Any other parts I should just proactively replace in the carb area while I have it off?

Any good how-to videos? I have watched a few on youtube.

Back