Logo

Tohatsu 361A m40c serial number 67228

sptsfan1

I am trying to figure out approximately what age this motor is.

Secondly, the starter does not want to click in Batteries are good and freshly charged. At times the starter fairies kick in and it works perfect for a few days and then all at once it just clicks and does not engage the starter
Any suggestions

Call or email Tohatsu America (check their website) and they may be able to find an approximate date of manufacture, but that is completely unimportant for servicing. The 40C was made during the 1990s. It was superceded by the 40D, which is a 3-cylinder, 3-carb motor.

What troubleshooting and diagnosis have you done on the starting problem? The usual issue is a loose or corroded connection, but you could also have a bad solenoid or starter motor itself. The click sound is probably the solenoid, so look for a poor high-amp connection first.

Call or email Tohatsu America (check their website) and they may be able to find an approximate date of manufacture, but that is completely unimportant for servicing. The 40C was made during the 1990s. It was superceded by the 40D, which is a 3-cylinder, 3-carb motor.

What troubleshooting and diagnosis have you done on the starting problem? The usual issue is a loose or corroded connection, but you could also have a bad solenoid or starter motor itself. The click sound is probably the solenoid, so look for a poor high-amp connection first.

I cleaned the battery post and added a portable booster to the battery and the engine fired and started fine. Shut the motor off and restarted fine with booster attached. Went home and placed a battery charger back on the battery to bring it up to full power. It was only testing 12.5 volts. After turning on the battery charger, the starter turned at full speed but the lift mechanism on the starter gear did not lift to spin the motor. I left the battery charger on and will check this evening. Can you explain why the starter would spin freely but not lift the starter gear into position. Sure worked well at the lake to start the motor.

Did a bit more checking last night. Battery or battery connections had some type of dead short. Battery reading 12.5, engaged starter and it then read 2.4. installed new battery connections and battery and no more problems. Thank you so much for your comments.

Back