Logo

Cleaning an after cooler

jansen

Contributing Member
I am getting black smoke on my AD41b and suspect the aftercooler may be stopped up. Any suggestions on cleaning it?

Pulled it off and apart today. Black soot on the air cleaner and the aftercooler. I know the air was not flowing through like it should. Sea water tubes looked pretty clean to me. Tried degreaser and didn't seem to cut it so move to gasoline and that worked better. I can see more light through the fins now. Still wonder if there is a better way to get a better clean? Had a couple of studs break off and drilling them out now. I have heard there are professionals who clean the heat exchanger, do they do aftercoolers too?

took aftercooler insert to Strachan Services where they will professionally clean it. They also do heat exchangers and oil coilers. Cost will be $75-100 but I will know it is clean as new.

I had it cleaned and installed it. Put on new Walker re-cleanable air filter, and fixed an exhaust leak at the turbo elbow joint. Took for a sea trial and back to full power and speed, less smoke but not gone. So we are pleased to be able to use the boat. The shop that cleaned it also cleans radiators so I bet a radiator shop could clean it too.

Back