Logo

Default Missing second expected carburetor on my Newly-Acquired 1959 135 hp Interceptor

I have a question for anybody with a Dearborn Marine Ford 135 hp, Interceptor engine. I just really had a good look at my newly-acquired 1959, 19' Lyman Runabout, and it my V-8 Interceptor only has one (the forward one) of its two Carter YH Carburetors. There is a plate bolted to the rear side of the intake manifold (where I expected the other carb), and a plate screwed top of the block (where I expected the second-carb throat to be).

Is this the way it came out of the factory, or did the previous owner (deceased, so I can't ask him-), or his mechanic remove the second carb (for balancing problems)?

I assume the previous owner ran it for a while (to what performance?) with this setup.

Before I buy another Carter YH, or (more modern carbs?), maybe I can get some educated comments? -Alan Briggs

__._,_.___

Default Re: Missing second expected carburetor on my Newly-Acquired 1959 135 hp Interceptor

according to this article, third paragraph:

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library...borna59003.jpg

it looks like the factory provided two - why one was removed is hard to say...

you may wanna try oldmarineengine.com, too - many over there that deal with older stuff...

Default Re: Missing second expected carburetor on my Newly-Acquired 1959 135 hp Interceptor

Thank you, Makomark. I appreciate the information.
    -Alan

I have seen photos of the 135 hp Interceptor with one carb. I believe that was the way it was done.