Logo

fuel pump repair????

farmerrick53

Contributing Member
I have a mercruiser 140 in a starcraft and I was wondering if there was a kit/parts break down of the mechanical fuel pumps these 181/3.0l gm engines used. A new one is still available, but I have 2 good units that are used and I thought if I could recondition one unit I would be hopefully good for a few years with this ethanol stuff. Anyone know where a guy might find a rebuild kit?

There are several fuel pimps used on the 4 cylinder engines

Maybe give the year, serial number, ect.....................

Well, There was a lot of interchangeability, one fuel pump is the "early style" with the filter housing on top, and the other one is the "new style" with the filter housing on the top, "new style" would be sierra 18-7278, and "early style" has fuel filter on bottom, sierra 18-7282. These are the 2 pumps I have, although both interchange, as well as a few other p/n units will also interchange, however the unit must be disassembled and "clocked" in order to correspond fuel line orientation. Thanks and I did find a quick silver 49089a1 carter style fuel pump rebuild kit, I anticipate this to be the kit, however more research is necessary before finalizing decision. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

why would anyone rebuild 4 banger fuel pump? What does a Brand new one cost? around $100.00?? Maybe???

As I asked in my first reply.......................What year is your boat and/or what is the serial number of the motor?

Without that information anyone who replies is just guessing?

Oh and by the way....Ethanol does not ruin a fuel pump.............not as far as I have seen.............

Well, the serial number would not fit on this page since I made this entire thing from, oh, say, roughly 5 donor boats. The outdrive upper is possibly the only original era component. The block is a mercury marine brand new crate motor, that was installed new with a broken piston skirt, the head was cracked from overheating, so it came from not the block, nor the original boat, but another source. The manifold in use came from the boat the block came from, the carb and fuel pump came with the boat, however that did not come OEM, rather. That stuff was changed out once over the years, since SN came to a much newer and different powerplant. The rest of the powertrain is similar, but no need to elaborate. It seems to run good, I have almost no money in it, actually might have made a little money in the process of building it, after trading and selling all the spare parts, it is dependable and catches lots of fish. I can't even begin to go into SN, however through extensive research of parts interchangeability, The fuel pump is very much the same, only offering like 2 o 3 options from 1970 to 2000ish. And it appears that the early configuration was totally discontinued and the primary difference in the other 2 remaining is a paper filter vs. a white stone type filter. As far the interchangeability of a rebuild kit, these carter pumps take all the same parts, no variation, other than 6 hole or 8 hole diaphragm. The 2 numbers shown for the 140 are the 18-7278 or 18-35437 and/or the 86234A 4 so I feel that SN even if I had it is way less helpful than stating simply "carter pump" Seeing as how all 3 of these options will have interchangeable internals.

Now, as far as WHY?? Well, because I have 2 known good fuel pumps that are both 20-40 years old and I fee that If I were to repair atleast one I would have a trouble free and worry free system. AS PROVEN IN FOREMETIONED comment new isn't always better, like bad piston in brand new mercruiser gm 181 4 cyl. I found a kit on ebay for $36 It has more than I need so I was hoping to find a better suited kit. If you have one or know where one is I will buy. I can rebuild myself for 1/3 of new in about 1/2 hour and then I know what I have. Thanks.

And ethanol may or may not ruin fuel pumps however what is all this hype about the moisture and the ethanol and the negative effects inside of fueltanks and lines?

It's not "hype". Here's what happens when ethanol fuel, moisture and time get together. I call it the "White Gook". No filter will remove it, and no known additive can make it burn. The only way to get rid of it is to flush and purge the entire fuel system. Using a quality fuel treatment additive WILL delay and reduce its effect, however.

Jeff

Attachments

• Gook.JPG
    Gook.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
So as far as preventative action, keep tank full? empty? just use it? Or is it just inevitable? Or should I use the ethanol treatment or should I use ethanol free? Thank for the pic.

The jury is still out on what to do. If you fill the tank, and moisture gets in there, a lot more "White Gook" can form (since there's more ethanol in there). If you leave it nearly empty, the tank will 'breath' more moist air in as the temperature changes, aggressively forming "White Gook'. Six of one...

Cars/ trucks don't have this problem since their gas tanks are NOT vented. Boats all have vented tanks, and are in a moist environment--a nasty combo!

Yes; always use a good treatment--I swear by Startron.

Jeff

I have been into many gas tanks,

I have cleaned/replaced many filters both at the carb and the water separators.

Unless the boat sank (which I have recovered many) or the gas was sitting for years or the gas put in came form a bad source (gas station tank already had water in it).

I have never seen what you have in your picture under normal circumstances. That includes long winter storage as I live in the north east and our boats are stored for 6 + months at a time. That is in almost 30 years.................

So I would consider this not a major issue of concern.

As far as rebuilding your fuel pump.

Most here who try to answer questions are or were factory trained and work/worked in the business for some amount of time.

Most would never rebuild a fuel pump, or alternator, starters, or many other rebuild-able parts on a boat.
The objective is to get the customer back up and running as fast as possible. Not to waist time rebuilding something that can be replaced easily.

With that understood, it is difficult to find contributors who can answer your questions about a source for rebuilding parts/kits for your fuel pump.

Example, My Alternator crapped out while on the water a couple of years ago, I pulled into a friends dock, removed it, had friend drive me to local marine business and purchased a NEW alternator. My cost was $295.00. Credit card and off I went. 2 Hours total and back on the water. This was my own boat. Still have the old one and have not brought to a rebuild shop yet and I will not even try to rebuild it myself, My time is worth more than the cost of a rebuild shop would ever charge. Besides I like to drink beer vs rebuilding an Alternator for which I have no parts to fix it anyway. But I do have lots of beer.....

So in the end it would appear you have a handle on what you need and where to get it.

What I would suggest is to when you complete this, post a detailed post with the source (s), the part numbers and the cost so other can benefit from your experience "if it works of course".

Thanks. I drink beer and rebuild stuff in conjunction. It helps pass the time. I understand that on a commercial scale, parts are replaced. A professional is not able to take liability of such an endeavor, if the fuel pump fails, the boat burns, the people are injured, it comes to you. I understand, as wellas time is a sensitive factor. I would also afford the effort of a new install and then if the part fails, the part supplier is held accountable, not the part changer, therefore the rebuild is not an option. I understand. I have no issues rebuilding this stuff, seeing as the last "new" fuel pump I put in my pickup failed within a month, due to poor wiring connections from the factory, as well as the forementioned scenario of the "new" engine with broken pistons. Thanks and I will hopefullymhave some good info here shortly.

OK... FWIW. I'm not a present or former professional mechanic. Been running and maintaining my own (and the occasional buddy's) boats since 1964, and high performance cars since 1959 ( again until about 10 years ago when I sold my last "toy" car) . I am also a semi retired engineer (EE with a minor in ME) and had a USCG 50T license from 1986 until health issues ended that a few years ago. All that said. I like to rebuild stuff when it makes sense, equally from a desire to save a few bucks or for personal satisfaction. My experience with mechanical fuel pumps. Had a few fail over the years. Never rebuilt one since they all had enough wear on the arm that runs on the cam, and in one case on the pivot pin for the arm, for me to decide that I was better off with a new one.

Last edited:
I just completed my rebuild. It took me about 45 mins. and $45 worth of parts. Assuming that the removal and install are a guaranteed labor concern, even for a new pump, I disassembled mine, cleaned in solvent tank, brushed out, and reassembled in about 45 minutes. I could have beat this had I been able to find my good needle nose pliers. I figure a novice (I am performance oriented, with a wall of trophies to back it up, as well as a diesel mechanic and a welder, truck driver, and air conditioning spe******t) should be able to complete this project from start to finish in 1 hour, figuring removal and install of fuel pump from engine, with basic hand tools, matco screw drivers, punches, ball peen hammer, needle nose, brush and brake cleaner to go, gasket or razor blade scarper, and the parts kit from ebay for 428 CJ ford fuel pump rebuild. I bought mine direct since it is cheaper, but ebay has the exact same one priced fair. I now have a $100 fuel pump, rebuilt for $44 and less than one hour, and I know that it is right, unlike the BRAND NEW stihl chain saw that had the fuel/vacuum lines reversed and would lean out at rpm and the store "mechanic" says it is fine. New stuff isn't always right. I have plenty of failed new parts out of the box. If I can reman myself, the quality is always top notch. If I buy new the quality often suffers, Wasting valuable early morning hours of trolling on the lake. I encourage a pump rebuild so long as you have access to a good core of an old style carter pump. The new ones are harder to obtain parts for, and have a different style filter. I wouldn't recommend paying $100 for a reman pump, that is probably imported from china, to save 30 minutes. New isnotalways perfect and if you do it yourself it isa one beer project, 2 at most, and the end resultwill be you have a nice fuel pump and a thicker pocket book. Use the proceeds to buy rapalas and troll for fish!!

Installed and runs nicely, And I know I have a good component. Headed for thelake tomorrow. Going to see it in action. No leaks, No issues to speak of.

Back