Logo

Modifying chrysler electric (cdi etc) to normal coil system (no more cdi)

JSC14JEAN

So sorry but I do not know know to upload pics or a diagram. However, will give a clear explanation.

Parts required: 1 x 12 volt coil (preferably new: I use oil filled): 1 x 2 -3 mfd condenser (old fashioned metal cap): some wiring and short piece plug wire: STANDARD PLUGS (0.30" GAP) (NOT THE PLUGS WITHOUT GROUND ELECTRODE)

1. Remove RED, BLUE, WHITE wires from CDI unit to wiring block.
2. Remove wire from CDI unit to threaded screw on distributor ( this screw is connected to the NON-EARTHED points inside distributor )
3. Remove bolts from CDI unit to motor; remove CDI unit.
4. Fit new coil against motor (use one of the open bolt-holes)
5. From + (PLUS) side of coil, run a wire to the wiring block where BLUE CDI wire used to be ( starting wire)
6. From - (MINUS) side of coil run a wire to the threaded screw on distributor (where CDI to Distr. wire used to be)
7. Connect 2 - 3 MFD condenser casing to ground; its wire to threaded screw on distributor (which goes to points)
8. Replace HT centre wire from distributor with thicker wire. (distributor centre to coil centre.)
9.DO NOT USE PLUGS WITHOUT GROUND ELECTRODE. USE STANDARD PLUGS WITH .030" GAP.
10. If points gap is set up properly, there must be spark on points when open/closing points with screw driver. You will now have spark on spark plugs as well. NO MORE CDI PROBLEMS!

And you'll be safer than I was with ONE motor out, due to faulty CDI unit ( 4 miles out from shore!!)

Back