Logo

Throttle cam plate? stuck 1979 johnson 15hp M#15R79

docpenner

I just picked this up from my neighbor and it ran 2 yrs ago. the tiller arm throttle wont turn the plate to the carb. i can tap the plate to start to loosen it but it only moves about 1/2". PB blaster? soak it all the way around? how do i free this all up? Oh, it wont start either so starting from scratch there to get it started.

Thanks for any advise

Are you speaking of the actual metal cam that is attached to the intake manifold via a shoulder bolt, or the plate that's part of the carburetor?

In either case, if they're stuck for some reason try some WD40 for a temporary fix.

Your fuel mix and starting procedure is what?

In thinking further.... I think that you may be speaking of the timer base under the flywheel and that it is sticking. Sometimes one can spray some WD40 on the nylon bearing area that the timer base glides around on. The alternative is to remove the flywheel, loosen all of the screws that attach the timer base to its retainer to remove it for a proper cleaning and greasing.

Try putting it in gear and see if you get the full twist of the tiller handle. On my '71 9.5 there's a stop pin to act as a 'rev limiter' while in neutral. When in gear that pin drops down out of the way.

Disconnect the link to the mag plate and see if it is in the handle or link or it is the mag plate is sticking, if the plate is sticking pull the flywheel and take it apart clean it good and grease the ring with a good marine moly grease. PB or WD will just make it worse down the road!

Back