Logo

Any advice on 1989 Johnson Gt 150 Install

SuperDan

I have a 1979 wellcraft V20 with Johnson controls , I am installing a 1989 Johnson Gt 150 . I am unfamiliar with outboards and would appreciate any tips . I have motor mounted and steering installed . I have a new key switch installed . The trim is working fine and the starter clicks but doesn't engage I have noticed some leakage under the fly wheel and need to know my next step . I recently purchased motor and have an option for refund within the next few days but it was a good deal and I bought it from a local minister so I do not think he is being dishonest . He said motor was on his bass boat last year and ran perfect it appears to low hours , again I am not familiar with outboards .

I have new 750 and 650 batteries how do I continue with testing motor while I have the option of a refund .

Any advice would be appreciated PLEASE HELP !!!

You have to make sure that there is a solid 12V at the starter solenoid, is there is make sure that the starter is getting 12V when you turn the key to start, if the starter is not getting 12V the solenoid is the problem, if it is getting 12V then tap the starter and see if it turns, if the is no 12vV at he solenoid you have to start from the key forward to se where is lost.

Use a pair of jumper cables from your battery negative post to engine ground. Positive cable connects to large post on starter. If it cranks then take positive to solonoid positive. If that cranks you have loose or corroded battery cables. Often battery cables will corrode inside And difficult to see.

Back