Logo

Older Honda motors (2003 BF130) and using Honda Diagnostics

Triton2486

I've been researching on this issue, and many of you seem to truly have some knowledge as to Honda Marine.

We recently purchased a boat with the 2003 Honda BF130 (BZBE1400875 and BZBH1400107). We were advised by the owner the boat had approx. 300 hours on it. For a 2003 and on the survey, it is in extremely good condition and did not show much wear/tear whatsoever. Unfortunately, there were no hour meters, and I don't put much trust just in the hour meters itself anyway.

We have since received conflicting info as to whether any data such as hours can be obtained directly from these motors through any ecm/diagnostics. Some service dealers advised it can. Some have advised the hours cannot be obtained through Honda Diagnostics. Do you know if there is any way to obtain the hours from these motors? Perhaps its my ignorance in thinking such data could always be obtained directly from the motors... what data can/cannot be obtained for "older" Honda motors?

No matter whether we can/cannot do the above, we plan on installing hour meters at this point so we are aware of our own usage from this point forward. If we replace the tachometers (appears to be faria without the hour meter) with the Honda Marine tach with digital hour meter (i.e. 37253-ZW5-010ZA or 37250-ZW5-010ZA), will either of these hour meters work in these motors? I was not sure if these hour meters worked via the motors or just when ignition turned "on".

If the above does not work, is the only option to install the analog hour meters (didn't want to put in another two holes in console, so maybe just would be in the console head if this is the case...)?

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

There is no way to get the hours off of these motors. The ECM is pretty simple on these models. They were the first fuel injected outboards that Honda produced. Once the 200/225 was introduced, more data could be obtained.

You can get active codes by shorting the service plug and counting the number of blinks on the check engine light light. But that is for another time.

Either one of the tachs listed would work fine. The 37253-ZW5-010ZA is made by V3. Formerly called Teleflex. I have not checked lately, but the Teleflex hour meter used to work only when the engine was running.

The other number,
37250-ZW5-010ZA, is a Faria. The hour meter on the Faria operates whenever the key switch is turned on.

Just follow the instructions as to where to set the rotating switch on the back of the gauges.

Mike

Last edited:
Thank you Mike for confirming/clarifying.

I did some research on both the Faria and V3/Teleflex tachs w/ hour meter. Some of the literature appears to indicate both now with when engine is running (or possibly can advance with a frequency generator, which I don't have). So it's either starting at zero or getting the individual hour meters that I can advance to the hours documented.

Back