Logo

Thermo Electron 454 water leak

dominique

Dear all, need help with water in oil on my starboard 454 engine. Had one valve stuck, open the head cylinders and replaced both (remanufactured) with new head gaskets. Engineer said leak from the Elbows and or Riser, replaced all and trust that it takes 2 months from Riva to get them (hand made in Zinc) plus a heart attack for the price….still had minor water in the oil, did 3 oil replacements and tried again with riser removed. Still a bit of water sprayed out from the elbow exhaust... - Any thoughts to save my summer :)? Thanks a bunch. BTW both engines were removed this winter, sanded and re-sprayed. Not sure that it has any impact however did want to provide all key infos.

Zinc??? Either stainless or cast iron are normal materials for the exhaust?

Normal failure mode is fore elbow to rust thru which permits cooling water exit 'early' where it drains back into the exhaust manifold...

if the risers and elbows are new, leak could be at the gaskets...

Run a flat file across the face of the manifolds and risers.
I did that with mine, most were pretty good, but one was not, After file ing they mated perfect.

Hi Makomak, I enclosed a pics of the engine and elbows following engine sanded. Looks that just the envelopp of the elbows are in zinc and the exhaust inside is certainly in stain-steel. We also envisaged a leak from the head gaskets but need to remove again the intake manifold...:( Will check, thanks.
Old Bird :) yes will do also when removing the manifolds and intake. What a mess after a new nice blue Crusader paint...:) Thanks to all.

Back