Logo

1985 50hp VRO lots of questions....

erandy02

hi everyone. new owner trying to find some info here. Im working on adjusting my carb linkage and I noticed the carb linkage cam only opens the carb butterflies a little bit when wide open. is this because engine vacuum opens the all the way when under a load? also can someone give me a rundown on diaging the charging system? I think the rectifier may be bad. this is an 85 Johnson 50hp. thanks

Do you have the manual to do the link and sync and no the carb butterflies should open to 90 deg. To do the charging system measure volts at the battery should be between 13 and 15 volts maybe a little more with the motor at 2000 rpm. voltage should go up as you accelerate the motor.

Last edited:
I don't have the manual for the link and sync and I set the roller at the line on the cam but when the throttle is wide open the carbs are barely open even tho the advance plate is against the stopper. also my voltage is 12 with the motor revved up. must have a problem.

Get the manual and are you using the big shift lever to move the throttle or the Small starting lever. If you are using the big lever cable could be out of adjustment.

im using the throttle lever with it in gear and wide open it moves the advance plate all the way to the max position but the cam pushes the roller only half way up the cam and the butterflies only open a tiny bit. does engine vacuum pull them open when its under load? because the motor seems to have power. just want a walk through of the proper adjustment procedure so I can check it.

figured out my throttle control was too tight and not maxing out the linkage. got it fixed and cant wait to try it. bet it will run hard now

Back