Logo

Honda 150 BAPJ 13000572 overheating at 4.000 rpm

Allois

Hello Everyone!
My name is Allois and I run a surf, fish, dive camp in Pohnpei, Micronesia.
I have 4 Hondas 150 hp.
One of them with around 1.500 hours has been overheating at 4.000 rpm
It started to overheat at higher rpm and since then lower to 4.000 rpm.
I have swapped parts with other Hondas 150 as an elimination process.
I have swapped the lower units so pump and anything on the lower unit is not the problem.
I have swapped all sensors and thermostat.
I flushed it with discaler many times.
I feel the problem is with some obstruction in the cooling system and it looks like there is a bit less waters coming out of that pisser at a higher temp.
I have pushed water with a lot of pressure and air through the colling system and took as much of it as I could apart to make sure there was no obstruction.
Do you have any ideas of what could be the problem or where the obstruction could be at?
Thanks.

the problem is on the water tube which is fitted on the oil pan, there is on rubber grommet which come bulged, I hope you had changed the thermostats. and rest everything seems to be done, so open lower unit, open extension case then you will find this point where the pipe is fitted ,

wajira

the problem is on the water tube which is fitted on the oil pan, there is on rubber grommet which come bulged, I hope you had changed the thermostats. and rest everything seems to be done, so open lower unit, open extension case then you will find this point where the pipe is fitted ,

wajira

Thanks. I was thinking about that. Yes, I did change all sensors and thermostat.
Do I have to replace any seal or gasket when removing the extension case?
Thanks!

rubber grommet for water tube you have to replace, that's it.

Open gearbox then open extension case after you can see water tube fixed on oil pan.just open tube and grommet clean properly,maybe you cant see any changes but better to replace the grommet.

wajira

wajira

Thank You Wajira!!! I had the same problem here at the other side of the globe, Finland. And nobody had the answers. So better to fix with help from Google advisory from bulletin boards like this. A Service company charged me +800$ for not fixing the issue (ok, changed the impeller&casing). And by DIY, it costed 12$. Thanks Allois as well for describing the problem so well!

Hi guys. Thanks for the tips. It worked and the motor is not overheating anymore. I did change the water pipe that goes under the oil pan (the original was in good shape) the grommet on top which also seemed to be in good shape, but the rubber 0-ring guide that guides the pipe location in the mid section was all broken leaving the water pipe a bit loose. Thanks a lot again!

Hello Wajara.
I hope you are still around.
As you were so right on the spot I have another Honda 150 question.
I have 4 Hondas 150. Out of them 3 sound the alarm for overheating and go into the safe mode at 1,500 rpm.
All pumps work good and water pressure seems ok. Could it be a thermostat issue?
I live in a very hot place. Water temp always around 86*. they used to run at 6,500 with no problems. Motors have from 1,000 to 3,000 hours.
Thanks. Allois

Hello Wajara.
I hope you are still around.
As you were so right on the spot I have another Honda 150 question.
I have 4 Hondas 150. Out of them 3 sound the alarm for overheating and go into the safe mode at 1,500 rpm.
All pumps work good and water pressure seems ok. Could it be a thermostat issue?
I live in a very hot place. Water temp always around 86*. they used to run at 6,500 with no problems. Motors have from 1,000 to 3,000 hours.
Thanks. Allois

SORRY!, they over heat at 5,000 rpm, not 1,500 rpm.
thanks Allois

SORRY!, they over heat at 5,000 rpm, not 1,500 rpm.
thanks Allois
Thank you guys tremendously. In possession of a 2015 commercial use Honda 150 with 1570 hours. A reputable dealer just put in $2300 of work including removing head and exhaust and routing, timing case work, thermos sensors, and acid wash and still alarm at 4600 rpms. They recommended a new head.
I tried another pressure relief valve and also a 25 gallon vinegar bath until hot and shut off. Same result. After reading your post I feel certain this grommet is the issue. Thank you again and again for solving this that has been nagging me and had me scouring my psyche with possible scenarios.
Wajira and Allois deserve medals. A real tribute to this forum and the knowledge available here. Allois description was an almost identical scenario to mine.
Wajira wasted no words with the remedy. May the blessings be.

wajira or anybody else, would it be possible to point out the part number or a drawing and the reference of the rubber part? Thanks!, it seems sooner or later there may be a possibility of running into this...

Last edited:
Ok, found it, part number to find on drawing is 19252-ZW1-000. This is just to help find it on the drawings, check effectivity of your engines prior to purchasing.

wajira

Wajira is my new hero!

I bought my boat knowing that the guy before me spent 5 years and $5000 chasing an intermittent overheating problem on the Honda BF150. I spent 3 years and $2000 chasing it down, not to mention many hours of labor and frustration.

A $7.83 part, and 4 hours for two amateurs to fix it. Sure enough, the bushing was bunched up, and I scraped a teaspoon of salt/calcium buildup out of the port on the oil pan that it fit into. If you can replace an impeller, you can do this job.

I'm back to enjoying my boat again. Running like a sewing machine.

Thank you very much!

Back