Logo

HELP! Volvo TAMD122P-B switching into reverse by itself!

TreyE

Hi all, I have a 1999 Viking Princess 52'. I'll skip right to the problem, sometimes after starting the engines one of the engines will kick itself into reverse when I'm not even near the controls. Never into forward, only reverse.

This usually happens when the engines are cold, please note, and luckily last week when it happened I was in my slip with 8 lines holding her in as I was not near the controls or I would have done some serious damage. This is the second time, after it happened last time we had them calibrate the throttle (which they just did again) in hopes that would correct it and it seemed to but the problem is persisting and it is very dangerous so I want to resolve it. I even shut the engine off and restarted it and it still kicked it in reverse again!:confused:

I am not familiar with boat engine throttles or diesels and am seeking help on what I should check to make sure this never happens. Is there something that needs to be replaced? Is it a miscommunication between the upper and lower helm? Is it electrical or mechanical problem? How do I check? Please help! Thanks so much!

Not sure if this is related but there seems to be a 3 second delay when switching gears, F/N/R. Like I'll put it in to reverse, wait two seconds then put it in neutral then it will kick in for a second then release. If I wait until it engages it pushes the boat so hard it makes docking quite the callenge. This boats props go like a scolded dog in idle. One engine 6 knots, two engines engaged 8 knots! It's crazy.

Is there a part or way I could reduce this delay? What activates the gears? A selenoid or similar? Can it be replaced to a quicker one? Could that part be the problem?

So sorry for all the questions haha

Back