Logo

Removing fuel injectors on Volvo Penta AD41b

They can be a real bugger. I have twin engines, so 12 injectors, 1-10 came fairly easy, 11 was real hard, broke the puller. 12 was a nightmare.
Do you have everything out of the way, the return line, etc. Do you have an injector puller ? Volvo Penta sells one that is poorly made and expensive.
Soak it down with a good penetrating oil and let it sit over night.
The injector has flat spots, a metric wrench will fit it nicely, sorry I don't remember the size. Get a small piece of pipe that fits over the end of the wrench to use as a cheater pipe. Try and twist the injector, bust it loose. I ended up ruining #12 but I did get it out. I though for sure I would tear the injector tube but it didn't. Twist it, more penetrating oil, try the puller. You can put hose clamps on the outside of the puller to beef it up, to keep the "legs" from bending, collapsing. Luckily number 12 was actually 2nd from front so it was somewhat easy to get at.
Did you get the cleaner brush that hooks to a drill for cleaning the tube after you get the injectors out?
Seattle Injector rebuilt mine.
Good luck, it's a battle.

Dope up the new ones with neversieze and get all new crushwashers .

Last edited:
Great information Castle. I ordered the VP puller 885131today for about $85. Will continue to soak them with good penetrating oil and hope the puller works. Thanks again. Marvin

Thanks for the info. After trying to twist out and soak in Kroil etc we put back together, ordered the Volvo tool and will soak them in penetrant for a while. We are taking it out today to run it around Mobile Bay and will try the puller when it comes in. The motor runs good, just black smoke on acceleration and higher fuel usage than the other 41 series.

Today we went for a ride on the Bay and the Port engine smoked as much or more than before. It also wouldn't get up to 3700 rpm like before. My son said the throttle felt different, like harder to push than the starboard that got up to 3700 easily. When we dropped down to 2500 it smoked less and when we advanced the SB to 3000 with the port at 2500 the smoke disappeared. I am worried there may be a problem in the injector pump and not the injectors. We are still waiting on the VP injector tool.

Last edited:
Back