Logo

Stuck in reverse

eddio

After a really ace cruise around Cardiff Bay this evening, I came to my mooring as usual: Slow ahead, neutral drift, then into slow astern. Neat, but she kept gently going astern. There have been no prior problems at all with the gears, so I'm hoping it is just an adjustment, loose fitting or similar. You helpful guys always seem to have someone on the forum who has knowledge to impart. I would appreciate some comments. Engine starts in neutral normally, will not shift ahead, will shift to astern, but then will not shift back out to neutral. Throttle ahead gives her more drive astern. Turning off the engine allows me to press the disengage button and start the engine (with no drive).

Before I delve into areas dark and oily, bringing my full ignorance to bear, someone may have advice. The boat is on a river mooring, and I am hoping a lift out will not be needed as my trailer is stored a few miles away.

1996 Maxum 19' with 4.3lx and Alpha 1

BRILLIANT! With gloom I went to the boat today, removed the engine cowl, and then cheered as I found the linkage to be loose: The top bracket had detached, and the spring and washer were down on the floor. Oh frabjous joy! Sometimes it CAN be simple. All now running smoothly, and withering looks from my wife shall be lessened.

Thank you for your reply sandkicker. Have a good summer.

Back