Logo

Lower unit confusion

Ok guys, I've got a 93 150 black max.on a skeeter boat. During the hot part of summer I have troubles plaining out. I started to put a different prop on and barrel of the proper I was trying to put on is bigger. As is all that I've checked. Can this thing have a smaller lower unit on it? I'm just not sure what the deal is.any help would be appreciated. Thanks Don

There was two different 150's in that time frame - one had the 2.0L block the other had the 2.5L block.

I am not aware if the lower unit was a different size or not.

Is this motor original to you? any chance that someone swapped a lower unit in it's lifetime?

What markings if any are on the "original" prop - the pitch/diameter are usually stamped on it - alternately, a part number (on OEM stuff) can be used for cross reference.

The motor is a 93 xr4. It has a 22 pitch laser 2 prop on it the circumference across the blades is 13 and three quarter inches this covers across the barrel is 4 2/8 at the flare. The old boy that I bought it off of had the motor rebuilt by mercury in 05 or Quicksilver. The old boy I bought it off of said he had some lower unit work done to it but I do not know what. I appreciate any help I can get with it. Thank you Don

There was two different 150's in that time frame - one had the 2.0L block the other had the 2.5L block.
The 2.0L was only used in the Xr2,135 and 150 motors.....2.4L was the Xr4 and 2.5L was the Xr6. The Xr4 and Xr6 use a inline small housing style lower unit and 1:78 gear ratio. Does you Laser prop have the vent slots as it comes both ways,you want the slot style

Yes you can install a "std" V-6 lower unit and get the 2:1 ratio. You can try and use your old prop with plugs installed as it will ventilate around hub but be aware speed will drop

Back