Logo
Get instant online access to repair manuals for your Mercury / Mariner outboard. Online Manuals
MercuryMariner
Order printed Mercury / Mariner service manuals — shipped to your door! Printed Manuals
MercuryMariner
Use engine diagrams to find & order parts for your Mercury / Mariner engine. Engine Diagrams
MercuryMariner
Find parts quickly with Mercury application guides. Quick Parts Guide
MercurySierraCDI

Default Lower unit confusion

Ok guys, I've got a 93 150 black max.on a skeeter boat. During the hot part of summer I have troubles plaining out. I started to put a different prop on and barrel of the proper I was trying to put on is bigger. As is all that I've checked. Can this thing have a smaller lower unit on it? I'm just not sure what the deal is.any help would be appreciated. Thanks Don

Inverary, Ontario, Canada - The Great White North Eh!

Default Re: Lower unit confusion

There was two different 150's in that time frame - one had the 2.0L block the other had the 2.5L block.

I am not aware if the lower unit was a different size or not.

Is this motor original to you? any chance that someone swapped a lower unit in it's lifetime?

What markings if any are on the "original" prop - the pitch/diameter are usually stamped on it - alternately, a part number (on OEM stuff) can be used for cross reference.
    Graham

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

The motor is a 93 xr4. It has a 22 pitch laser 2 prop on it the circumference across the blades is 13 and three quarter inches this covers across the barrel is 4 2/8 at the flare. The old boy that I bought it off of had the motor rebuilt by mercury in 05 or Quicksilver. The old boy I bought it off of said he had some lower unit work done to it but I do not know what. I appreciate any help I can get with it. Thank you Don

There was two different 150's in that time frame - one had the 2.0L block the other had the 2.5L block.
    The 2.0L was only used in the Xr2,135 and 150 motors.....2.4L was the Xr4 and 2.5L was the Xr6. The Xr4 and Xr6 use a inline small housing style lower unit and 1:78 gear ratio. Does you Laser prop have the vent slots as it comes both ways,you want the slot style
    Pappys Sales and Service
    Owner and Factory Certified Technician
    Former racer KDBA (Kentucky Drag Boat Association)

Yes my prop does have the vent holes and I've got them all out but one. It spun out with them all out. So can I change the lower unit out with one of the others? WI think the bigger prop?

Yes you can install a "std" V-6 lower unit and get the 2:1 ratio. You can try and use your old prop with plugs installed as it will ventilate around hub but be aware speed will drop
    Pappys Sales and Service
    Owner and Factory Certified Technician
    Former racer KDBA (Kentucky Drag Boat Association)