Logo

Yamaha 40 hp 2 stroke 84-86 mod won't start with key.

Benji91

Hello my fellow boaters!

I have a Yamaha 40 HP, 3 cyl, 2 stroke 84-86 mod which had HAND start before, but I got a parts-engine for free so I built it to a outboard with electrical start.

The starter has worked fine for a long time, but one day it suddenly wouldn't start by using key.

The thing is. it had a faulty neutral switch inside the remote control unit, so I removed that and then I saw some of the wiring was ripped of. I tried putting it back together. This was when the boat was out of the water, and I tried the starter, and IT WORKED! The starter kicked in.

So I thought, hell, everything is fine now. So I got the boat back in the water so I could use it for the summer. BUT now I will NOT start. It turns over, it gets fuel, but it seems ignition WILL NOT fire.
I think it's something with the connections so the MODULE stops it from firing. Some kind of immobilizer.

I can use the boat though, if I put a wire on the starter solenoid and just put it at the plus terminal at the battery. But it's a hassle doing that everytime. I don't get WHY the module stops me when i'm using the key, but not if I bypass it. Does it maybe ground the module so it gets confused or something?

I have more than average knowledge of engines and electricity, but do anyone have any tips? Wiring diagrams? I can't seem to wrap my head around this at the moment.

Back