Logo

No Spark

The engine must crank over at least 300 rpm in order to provide spark (remove the spark plugs when testing).

No spark?........ remove the black/yellow wire from the powerpack (kill circuit). If you now have spark, it is usually caused by a defective ignition switch, in which case, replace the switch.

If still no spark, the usual cause is a blown powerpack.

Hi guys-
I have been looking at this and looking over some other forums and I am still having spark issues. I have a 1975 Evinrude 115 that I got last year. I have done several of the steps suggested and still no luck. Here's the history: last year got the boat fixed interior and got motor working. Toward the end of the season it intermittently wouldn't start and I would have to disconnect the black/yellow wire and then it would start. I could even reconnect the black/yellow and it would restart several times. Usually only acting up after sitting a day or so.

Onto this year: it was still acting up so I set out to fix it. I ran several voltage and continuity checks and saw this post and figured it must be the ignition switch. So I ordered a new switch and it fired right up at the house. The next day I figured it was fixed and headed to the lake. Wouldn't start. No spark! I brought it home and it hasn't started since. I have done continuity tests again on the black/yellow and the switch. I tried a new power pack too, cuase one forum suggested it might be that. I am new to outboards so any help is appreciated.

Back