Logo

New Poster, Nissan NS5B Issue

JonInPGI

Hi All First time post.....

I have a NS5B that came with my sailboat. My mechanic took it about 2 years ago, replaced the spark plug and changed the fuel tank. However it has not run since. Finally today I decided to give it a whirl. At first the engine did not start, so I removed the Carb, cleaned it out. It was a bit dirty and I cleaned out the Main Nozzle & Jet. So the engine started and will run at a higher RPM. I dies when the throttle is at idle. The weird thing and this is my first problem is that the difference between the throttle at idle and running at what sounds to be about 75% throttle is a micro inch. I'm talking about at the carb not the twist throttle. So it appears that the throttle is either revving nearly full blast or nothing all within a mere nano inch. The throttle will travel the entire distance..... Lost and Confused.... Thanks for any help you can provide... Jon

Sounds like the slow speed circuit is clogged. You can try a Complete carb disassembly, 4-hour soak in carb dip, followed by a spray-out with generic carb spray. Failing that, new carbs are still available for about $191 MSRP.

Paul... Thank you for your response.

1 Quick question before I do that... The service manual says "DO NOT clean carburetor by submerging or soaking in carburetor dip cleaner.." Since I have never done this before why would they say that?

Thanks Jon

Some of the older cleaners were too aggressive, and could damage delicate bits. All the current cleaner dips are much more mild, so no problem. Sometimes they are too mild.

Back