Logo

Break-In Service question

Steve Singerman

I have a question regarding service on a new Honda 150 outboard 4 stroke. I recently purchased this motor and brought it in for the 20 hour break-in service. The service rep. called me and told me it was ready 2 days later. I said great and asked if they were able to look at the other issue I had with my depth finder transducer. After we talked for a couple minutes it became apparent that they needed to keep the boat for a couple more days to check out this other problem. I said okay and we said goodbye. A few minutes later the service rep. called me back and told me they needed the keys to the boat since now they had to put the boat in the water to check out the other problem. I told her where the keys were in the boat and again said goodbye. After I hung up it occurred to me that they had done the break-in service and had never actually turned the motor on. Is that possible? I mean, I know it's possible, I'm just wondering if the service could have been done correctly/completely without ever having turned the engine on. :confused: Any technicians out there? Thanks ahead of time.

its possible that another tech did the check up and was not available when the guy called...did you tell anyone when you first left it where the key was?..will the computer tell you date and time etc when it was run?...I would go straight to shop management and ask my questions and the make sure you are with him when he talks to the tech that supposedly did the work...be alert for any conflicts in the two conversations...its possible that no work was done but you only suspect it..you don't know it..

papyson,

Thanks for the response. I'm not suggesting no work was done. I know that the engine oil and gear oil are supposed to be changed. And the idle is supposed to be checked. Conceivably the oils could be changed without turning over the engine (though I was under the impression the oils should be warm when changed.) But the idle speed couldn't have been checked if the motor wasn't turned on. I really wasn't doubting the oil changes, until you brought it up. I was wondering about the idle check mostly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 4.32.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 4.32.02 PM.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Based on my personal experience, any good shop would have run the engine, probably for at least 15 minutes, prior to an oil change. They would also have run the engine after the oil change to check for any leaks especially around the new filter and drain bolt. A really good shop would have done an on-the-water run before declaring the boat ready.

I'm not sure of how standard this is, but the shop I use prints out a report from the Honda Diagnostic Computer before they start working on it. On the report will be the exact hours and minutes on the engine. If you get them to do a second printout when you pick up the boat, you will know definitively how much the engine was run.

Back