Logo

Non-electric to electric?

beachbum1a

OK! A few months ago my fishing buddy & I bought a 25 hp Honda 4 stroke, 1993 (BF25A). Unfortunately it's a manual pull start and both of us being way past being considered "seniors", are having a difficult time pulling the rope starter to get it running. Not impossible but it takes more muscle than either of us seem to have.

Question: Am I right in thinking that with the addition of a different fly wheel, starter and solenoid it could be converted to an electric start? If yes, would it be cost prohibitive or something we could look into?

Motor runs good and we thoroughly enjoy out fishing outings - it's just the difficulty in getting it running that's got us against the wall. Suggestions?
Thanks!

Doesn't seem to be any suggestions to my dilemma. I'm wondering if there is an "outboard graveyard" somewhere where parts are resold?

I have looked into it for a newer 25 HP. Fortunately, I had the pull start and an electric start motor side by side to see what I would need.

Not sure about the older 25 HP. One most important thing is....are the bolt holes for mounting the starter in your existing motor.

There are several things that are different, but if you are creative, you might be able to get by with a few simple additions.

Besides the starter cables, you will need to work out a way to charge the battery. The electric start version uses a different regulator/rectifier.

Here is a link to another forum that lists the parts required for a newer motor. I have not verified the accuracy of the list, but it may have some useful info for your project. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...how-to-install-electric-starter-in-25hp-honda

Mike

Last edited:
Back