Logo

Johnson J30 ECRR Lower unit removal

cwood7001

I have a J30 Johnson that I am trying to do the lower unit seals and water impeller. However I can not get the lower unit to come off. I have removed all 4 lower unit bolts along with the nut on the stud on the rear of the lower unit. I have also disconnected the drive shaft just behind the prob. It separates just a little but seems as if the rear stud has corroded itself. I have used WD40 and penetrating oil and a rubber hammer along with heat but it will not budge. Any help with this would be great. I am stuck at this point and my parts will be here today. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is a tube / dowel on that stud.------------Corrosion jams that up.-------------Heat at that area will help.

Been there and got the T shirt. You will be surprised by how little corrosion there is on that stud when you do get it apart. Plenty of lube and plenty of heat is the answer. On one of mine I tipped the engine upside down so the weight and gravity would help. Don't resort to hammers. Got the broken cavitation plate on yet another engine to prove that isn't the best route.

Drip some power steering fluid on it and tie a weight to the gearbox let heat, chemicals and weight do the bulk of the work. Power steering fluid dont dry out and dissolves corrosion quickly.

Back