Logo

Is starter the problem?

tymonty44

1989 Evinrude 150xp runs well except for a metal grinding sound when I shift from in gear to neutral. The gear on the starter is coming up and making contact with the flywheel. Is it supposed to do this? I am also having trouble getting the motor out of forward. It feels like the motor stays engaged even after the control is in the neutral position. I really have pull the controls back far to get out of gear. I replaced the spring on the starter thinking that might have been the problem. Don't know if I have been using proper terms, so sorry. Do I need to replace the starter or is there another issue?

Coming out of gear hard....... Sounds like your shift interrupter switch is disconnected or stuck in the open position. Follow the shift linkage into the power-head area piece by piece. You'll come across two wires... a black and a black/yellow. This would be the switch.

The starter problem... Seeing as how you have replaced the spring... the only other thing that would cause that gear to raise into the flywheel is if voltage is being applied to it. You'll need to trouble shoot that factor.

Thanks for the info. How do you recommend I start trouble shooting the voltage problem. Is the solenoid my first stop? I can put a volt meter on that and see if its getting proper voltage. When should it be receiving volts?

The starter solenoid on the battery cable side of it has of course voltage to it constantly.

The starter side of the solenoid should have voltage to it ONLY when the key is in the START position.

For some unknown reason, it appears that you are having voltage to the starter when you attempt to take the engine out of gear (according to your initial post)........

If this is indeed the case, have a volt meter (+) attached to the starter side of the starter solenoid with the meter (-) attached to the power-head somewhere, and with the engine NOT RUNNING, spin the prop and put the engine into gear. Now, while observing the volt meter, take the engine out of gear.

If the solenoid was shorted out, the electric starter bendix gear would be engaged constantly, NOT just when you take the engine out of gear.

Let us know what you find.

I will try that when I get home tonight. Another thought, (I can't remember where i read this) could there be something wrong with the ignition. Specifically with the key and its alignment. If the key is moving back into the start position when I shift, then the bendix would come up, right? This could mean replacing a part of the control box or the wiring from the control box.

I will try that when I get home tonight. Another thought, (I can't remember where i read this) could there be something wrong with the ignition. Specifically with the key and its alignment. If the key is moving back into the start position when I shift, then the bendix would come up, right? This could mean replacing a part of the control box or the wiring from the control box.

When you remember where you read that, let me know!..... Impossible!

As Joe said, have a voltmeter on the starter and operate the shifter. If such a thing as you read somewhere is indeed happening, it would show as a voltage appearing when you shift. That's the whole idea of monitoring it with a meter.

When you remember where you read that, let me know!..... Impossible!

I found where I read about the ignition issue. Here is the link http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/540241-yamaha-outboard-grinding-while-neutral.html#b
Short version: key for this guys honda motor wouldn't go back all the way to on position, so when in gear everything was fine, but when in neutral the starter would engage.
My starter is doing the same thing so didn't know if this is something to check. Seems pretty easy to look at though. I will try the solutions yall have suggested when I can find a helping hand. Hard to come by during the week. Also tried to find the yellow and black/yellow wire you were telling me about Joe. Couldn't find them. Wires might be faded because of age. I will do some searching for the switch on the internet so I know what to look for and then try again. Did find a wire that was exposed. Obviously replacing it would be best but short term can I shrink wrap it or use liquid electrical tape?

Back