Logo

how to remove u-joint /bearing crosses

tmcboat

Regular Contributor
Hi All,
I remove the clips and started with a drill punch= 3/8 rachet extender and hammer and push the first cap about 80% out but having trouble getting it to go any further-should I heat the yoke up? I am installing all new bearing crosses and caps. do I need to use a C clamp? The Volvo work shop manual shows using a hammer and drill punch approach. Do I try and push one of the other cap down to relieve any stress on the cross so the first cap will come out?
your thoughts please.
thanks,
tmcboat

I had to take mine to a marine shop and have them pressed out. I don't think you'll have much success with just hand tools.

Hand tools will work just fine!

Some will recommend at the three components remain factory indexed . If concerned, mark all three components.

With all bearing cap retaining "clips" removed, use a "brass" hammer against the yoke and proceed to tap on it so that the force causes that trunion to push its bearing cap out of the yoke bore.

Reverse the yoke 180* and repeat the process.

Now this yoke is free, leaving the old bearing cross attached to the center section.

(these may not be the best images, but they should help explain what we're doing)
images
images

To remove the remaining bearing cross from the "center section", the force will now be applied directly to the aposing trunnions. Use these old Trunions to tap against.

Repeat at until both bearing crosses have been removed.

Once the bearing cap bores have been cleaned up, you will be ready to install the first new bearing cross.

( be sure to have a clean work area )

With two adjacent bearing caps removed from the new cross, carefully insert the cross into the center section.
Allow one trunion to protrude through its bore.
Place a bearing cap onto this trunion.
Gently compress this cap into its respective bore...... setting it much deeper than need be.
Stop and install this retaining clip!

The adjacent trunion will now be sitting "proud" of its bore.
Install the other bearing cap, and compress it until the retaining clip can be installed.

There is a "relaxing" procedure that needs to be done before you will be completely finished! This is done by once again tapping with the brass hammer.

Last edited:
Back