Logo

Fuel leak or perfectly normal?

Georgiaboy67

Advanced Contributor
Ihave a 97 evinrude 115. E115eleua. I've brought the boat to the shop 3 different time for a fuel leak. Said everything's fine. Just gas seeping from the carbs. Okay, I get it that can happen. But everything on the left side of the lower engine cowling, is soaked with gas/oil. (I mix gas and oil manually) carbs were just rebuilt. Idk how to adjust these things, no one has a manual for this engine. Don't like the seloc's because it covers a lot of different motors, so wouldn't go into deep details like I need. And there's gas dripping on to the back of the motor mount. It's not pouring. And it only does this when I tilt it up. But like I said the entire left side is soaked in gas.

I cant imagine that fuel leaking from the carbs is ok, especially to the point that the left side is soaked. Can you see where it is leaking from? Doing a google search shows several reasons for this. Please provide more information as to where it is leaking from. Who rebuilt the carbs, you or a shop?

EDIT there are several factory service manuals available for purchase, and there is also one where you can view your manual on line. Google for 1995 evinrude 115 shop manual

Edit2: just checked and they have your manual here in the printed manual section.

Last edited:
It's hard to tell. It's like too much gas left in the carbs when I'm done running the engine. I thought it was coming from the throats of the carbs cause that's what it was befOre this reman Powerhead. But now the airbox is dry unlike it was before. (Good thing) but now wires are covered in gas and oil, as soon as I removed the lower cowling my hands were covered in oil since gas evaporates. Fuel pump is dry, and honestly the carbs look dry, it's everything else. Let me see if I can finally get a picture to upload. I just don't want anything to catch fire.

I retired in 1991 so my knowledge of your engine's design and circuitry may not be up to date... but the following is worth mentioning.

Am I correct in assuming that when the engine is tilted up, it is also tilted to the left (Port) side? If so, anything dripping will naturally be on the port side of the engine.

Fuel dripping from the carburetors is a common problem, hence the need for good gaskets on the carburetor face plate assembly.... and also the hose on the port bottom rear side of the face plate assembly, a hose that leads to the bottom main bearing area. If this hose still exists on the 1997 model... Is it attached properly?

The gaskets mentioned above... are they in good condition and secured properly?

Some manuals give instructions in setting carburetor floats that I've found to be in error (my opinion)... The results of those settings leave something to be desired. I've found the following technique to be suitable for "all" horsepowers.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Should your fuel tank be higher (very unlikely) than the engine, a natural siphoning effect would exist, causing fuel to draw from the fuel tank and flow out of the carburetors due to the tilt of the engine causing the float setting to be non existent. Also.... when the engine is shut down, those carburetors are full of fuel and with the engine tilted, fuel is going to drip somewhat regardless of the tank's location (the reason for the gaskets and the hose mentioned above).

However, the description of your problem, to me, is to an extreme and suggests something out of the ordinary field of known encountered problems. I'd suggest you clean the engine up good, then have the hood off and the external carburetor face plate removed so that you can see the carburetor throats. Now, have the engine tilted as you would normally have it and scrutinize that unit for leakage.

Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
It seems that a small fuel leak is coming from a vleeder
hose that's right next to the atarter
motor. It goes into the back of the intake manifold, it's on the lower left carb. Reason I say that cause near the starter motor there is a bit of oil around it. But as for the entire left side soaked in oil I would have to assume it's just coming from the throats when tilted up since it never drips down the back of the transom mount when it's tilted halfway or trimmed more.

Back