Logo

75 hp Chrysler 3 cyls

JSC14JEAN

Hello everyone. Just wonder what the smallish bolt does/ is supposed to do. (small bolt in between gearbox oil fill and discharge bolts)
On my 1 75 hp motor, small bolt is missing. Gearbox seems to be locked. Tks for reply. Jean

A pic would be very helpful??
If it's the screw on the rounded part of the gear housing towards the front??
That's a locating pin for the shift linkage.
If it's missing? The lower needs to be removed and the pin reinstalled.

A pic please.

OK jERRYJERRY05. Removed the lower section of motor.Both drive shaft and prop shaft are locked. I have not removed the 3 bolts and lower part of the lower section. What to do now? please explain. Thank you

Try to get the prop shaft out.
Find a parts diagram for the motor , it will help in removal.
What year?
Pictures would really help.

At the bottom of the Reply to Thread" or "quick reply" is a tab marked "go advanced" Hit that and scroll down.
It will get to a tab called "manage attachments.
That will help you load pics.

Hi JerryJerry05. Do I take out drive shaft first before pulling out prop shaft of my 75 hp Chrysler 1975 model? Your advice much appreciated.

You need to remove the prop shaft first.
Don't remove the drive shaft unless your sure it's needed.

IF??? It really needs to be worked on. (new bearings etc)
Then I'd try to find another lower unit.
The lower needs special tools and a factory manual to rebuild.

Take off the water pump and see if there is rust / corrosion under there?
There is a bearing that needs to be pressed on. Not something to be done at home.

IF??? the pin was out for a while then the chances the lower is rusted beyond help???

Again pictures and a location?

Thank you. Will try remove the prop shaft. The pin was removed whilst motor was out of the water. My so-called "expert" helper then just pushed the rod down. I heard a definite click, assuming that the gear shaft was locked into some sort of position. I then decided to rather do things all by myself. Thank you for advice

Where you located?

A click means that the gears are locked in gear. Lets hope!!!

You need to drop the lower, then separate the gear housing from the top section.
Reassemble the pin and shifter.
You should be able to do this without removing the prop shaft or drive shaft.

Thank you for your very valuable info. Have already dropped the lower unit. Can I now just try to pull-out the shift pin? Maybe the selector then will get back to neutral?(just my "appy" thought) Or will I then do damage to selector. So sorry for all the questions.

Back