Logo

Controls for my "new" motor

JoshInWV

Howdy all once again,

Currently on my boat, I have an Evinrude 9.9 E10ELCCD motor. It has an electric start and electric choke (push the start key in). I recently purchased a 1975 40555C to replace or supplement the 9.9 motor. It has an electric start as well as electric choke. I purchased it because I figured that since it was an Evinrude, I should be able to use my current controls for my 9.9 to control it from my dash. Can anyone tell me if this is possible or am I way off? I'm sorry if I am asking stupid questions here, I am very much a newbie at replacing boat motors and controls.

I just bought a NOS service manual for the 40HP motor (original Evinrude manual) as well. Also, can anyone divulge what fuel mix and 2 cycle oil to use? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Do you want to run the 9.9 off of the controls or use the 9.9 controls to run the 40 hp.

I'd like to use the 9.9 throttle, (fwd / rev), and electric choke controls to run the 40 HP motor. I'm trying to not mount another control box in the boat when I already have one that is perfectly good, and it's from Evinrude.

EDIT: For clarification, the 9.9 currently runs off of the controls. I want to swap out the 9.9 engine for the 40HP engine and use the controls that are currently installed on the boat, for the above reasons.

Last edited:
Yes the forward and reverse cables should work. Wiring might be more difficult do you have a stand alone box for the electrical on the 9.9 hp.

Yes the forward and reverse cables should work. Wiring might be more difficult do you have a stand alone box for the electrical on the 9.9 hp.

I don't know what a stand alone box is? Is that what this is?

w30nX669

Yes that is the stand alone box you will have to by pass as it is 9.9/15 hp specific. The 40 hp will have it's own solenoid so you will have to modify the harness from the dash to work with it. Or modify the wiring harness on the motor to use the 9.9/15 hp box. You will need the wiring diagrams from both the motors to figure out what you want to do.

Yes that is the stand alone box you will have to by pass as it is 9.9/15 hp specific. The 40 hp will have it's own solenoid so you will have to modify the harness from the dash to work with it. Or modify the wiring harness on the motor to use the 9.9/15 hp box. You will need the wiring diagrams from both the motors to figure out what you want to do.

I'll have to purchase a 9.9 manual with a wiring diagram then. It's probably easier to modify the wiring harness on the motor. That way I can just plug it in. I'll see about making my own harness for the motor(s) coming off of the solenoid, and then make it so I can just plug a X pin connector in and go. Thanks for the insight. Sounds like I can reuse the solenoid that is in there. I'll check the 9.9 I have and grab a manual.

Back