Logo

OMC 3.0 Outdrive shaft bearing shot to pieces

MrMad

Hello,

I have a question, I have recently let a boat place service the oil in my outdrive. When taking the boat out for a spin after this the engine completely locked up after about 5 minutes of running. Had to be towed home.

So today they pulled the drive again, after removing the drive engine cranked just fine. Outdrive looked fine from the outside, but was still completely frozen. So, they pulled the shaft, and the big bearing that is on the shaft was completely shot to bits. Now I have been running this boat for 4 months last year without any issues and I don't believe in fairytales so my question, could a botched oil replacement have caused this issue?

Yep, drove it the whole season on lakes and even out at sea, didn't miss a beat. Longest trip was over 5 hours with mixed full and low speed.

Ok,.... Then it ain't a stringer drive, they ended in '85,.... probably a Cobra,....

'n while I don't do Cobras, I hear they fill oddly, Unlike the Merc drives which fill only from the bottom drain plug,.....

Ya might have a case against the shop,....

Yes!!! I did this to my 2.3 Changed outdrive oil the wrong way, created an air pocket and burnt up my gears. I would stay on them, find out how they filled it.
Where are you located? I have a 3.0 that I would sell cheap. I'm in Atlanta

Back