Logo

water seeping in cylinders after shut down, 1979 360 chrysler with velvet shift, ????

I just installed a fresh 360 Chrysler in a 1979 penn yan, The motor ran excellent on the dyno, now that it's in the boat it run's great until after I shut it off, after it sat overnight I came out to run it again and it was locked up, I removed plugs and had water in 2 of the cylinders, Doe's anyone have any idea's ??, I've never seen this before, Any help would be appreciated, Terry

head gasket keeps the water from the cylinders and exhaust in the exhaust pipe. water in a cylinder or your engine getting warm faster than normal means head gasket is blown, could even be a cracked head.

IF this motor has log manifolds, and IF the water is in the rear cylinders, the riser/ manifold gasket is leaking water in (or the riser is shot).

Unless you tried to force the motor to start, this is not a problem--mine did that a dozen times over the year. BUT, you must get the motor started ASAP to prevent rust in the cylinders. Then drain the coolant out of the manifolds and risers to keep more from coming in.

Jeff

PS: Be sure to use a LIGHT coat of silicone on both sides of those gaskets, and snug the top bolts first (to counter the weight pulling down).

Hi Jeff, Thankyou for responding, I had the manifolds and risers cleaned and blasted they turned out nice, When I put the risers back on I used new gaskets and sealer, The only thing i'm wondering is the old gaskets had side and bottom holes blocked, when I put new ones on they didn't ??, Also i'm running it with the hose on the trailer if that makes any difference,

If you pull out the small brass fittings under the log manifold you will see water if the manifolds are leaking. If it is dry you are ok. If it fills the cylinder overnight it is a fairly good leak you should spot it quickly.
These fittings are open to the exhaust.
The pipe plugs with the recesses square drive are for draining the water from the manifolds for winter. Dont open them.
Bob

I hope I am wrong on that I just installed new log manifolde and there is water in the last plug near the risers on both sides.
All of the rest are dry, I thought no water belonged in that side of the manifolds.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Bob

I was correct there should be no water in the brass section of the exhaust manifold if you pull the plugs out and see water you have a problem in the exhaust or risers.
My problem was installing the new manifoldw with sealant. I remoned the sealant cleaned the pieces off and installed the gaskets dry ,no water now.
Bob

Back