Logo

leak in boat

NEVADA GAMABLER

couple of question's-have 17 foot bass tracker and it leaks water into the boat--yesterday i saw it dripping from a weep hole and along the keel area-I think that is what you call them. thought that was a solid piece under there and can not figure out where the leak is coming from-also will a good marine silicone seal this

guess I will have to plug up the weep hole also

Ayuh,.... I donno yer hull, but I've got a Starcraft riveted hull,....

Sealin' the weephole in the keel might fix it,.... til Winter,.....

If that cavity is fulla water, it'll blow it apart if it freezes,...

The hull envelope is above that piece of metal, hence the weep hole to drain it,....

Can ya get to the keel on the Inside of the hull,..?? that's where it sounds like the leak is,....

Maybe paint it inside with Glov-it, or Geo-cel tri-polymer, brushable,...
Both are fluid enough to seep in, cure, 'n seal small leaks,...

the only way to really fix a leaking rivet is to replace it...but i know that boat and its damn near impossible without a major teardown...if I am not mistaken its also a .080 hull..the newer ones are 100 gauge and welded...I would let the boat dry out on the trailer...temporarily full the weephole with something you can remove later...then put water in the boat and verify that the leak is under the keel....then make a decision...

that's a good running little boat....but they do develop leaks...unless the leak is really bad you may just end up with a good auto bilge pump..

Back