Logo

'79 Evinrude 9.9 hard starting

kevinj

Advanced Contributor
Overall this motor is running great with cooling problems resolved and a new fuel pump. The one small issue I'm still having is it's hard to start, even when warm. When the engine is cold I prime the bulb until completely firm, give it choke, put the throttle to START, and then it takes several pulls to get it to fire. Again, once running it goes like a champ. When the engine is warm it takes several pulls to get it to start. Sometimes I have to give it about 1/2 choke and wait for it to fire, sputter, and die. Once it does that I can disengage the choke and it will start. At no point can I put the throttle to START and have it fire on the 1st or 2nd pull.

Compression is 90PSI and dead even on both cylinders.
Spark is bright blue and jumps 7/16" gap on both.

When I had my last issue I punted and took it to a shop. They found the fuel pump was shot and installed a new one to get it running well. At that time they said the carburetor was fine and didn't need any work.

This is sounding like a fuel delivery issue to me and I think I may need to run through the carburetor after all. I'm wondering if there is some kind of debris in the low speed fuel circuit that is causing the hard start issue. But, I'll gladly take any advice on where to look first so I'm not chasing rabbits down holes.

Thanks guys.

Kevin

That little plate that says START and so forth is just for reference... which way is fast, which way is slow, etc.

Give the engine some more throttle... past START to open the throttle butterfly a bit. Let us know if this small mention cures your problem.

This is a tiller model. The START position on the handle is as fast as you can set it without the engine being in gear. I'll take a look at the butterfly when it's in START position. maybe the linkage is out of adjustment and the it's not opening far enough.

I would check the strength of your spark. This is identical to how my 1975 15 hp ran. I check the spark with a spark tester to see if it could jump a 1/4 or 3/8" gap which it couldn't, replaced both coils and now it starts instantly. Huge difference. Spark tester cost $15 on line would have saved a bunch of other work getting to that point.

What is your idea of warm how long was it sitting before you tried to restart it. If it was sitting for 20 minutes or so it is no longer a warm motor. Ignore the start on the tiller and advance the throttle as far as it will go in neutral to start.

I'll double check the spark, but at my last check is was very strong.

Yes, it was on a fishing trip and did set for quite a while between starts. The START position on the tiller is as far as the throttle will advance while in neutral. Another troubling thing is it was very difficult to get started when we took off first thing in the morning. I had the choke on and the primer bulb was completely firm. I have a brand new fuel tank with a vent in the lid and it was open so there was no vacuum in the tank.

We are also having trouble with starting ours and it is the electric start model, when we do get it started it runs great.. we feel sure 100% that it is the carburettor which is at fault but have stripped it down several times but all the jets seem ok. It has an automatic choke, not knowing how these types of choke work we think it could be the problem.. Can any one set any light on the problem. we would try to get another one (second hand) but they are like chickens teeth. Any ideas????

Eric.... It's best that you start your own topic. However, I'll give you a starting reply here.

No such thing as a automatic choke!

There is a "manual" choke... then there is a "electric" choke.

Remove the top cover of the carburetor face plate and observe the choke butterfly for proper operation.

Thanks Joe, I will start a new thread, but it is certainly not manual as there are no connections either on the carb or the case. cheers anyway..

Back