Logo

275 gear box issue

tmcboat

Regular Contributor
Hi All,
I had a oil leak into the yoke/u joint assembly bellow. I installed a new sealing ring # 839253 but it leaked. Which side of the sealing ring faces out- the flat side or the double lip side? I have a aluminum clamp ring with steel beaing insert with 2 thin shims and seal surface washer. How do I check for rolling torque value?
the gear that the hex screw bolts the yoke shaft too are even and the bearings seem tight- there is no movement in the yoke u joint assembly

however the other gears have a bright shine across the teeth with a little more wear toward the front/open point on the teeth? your thoughts please
thanks
tcmboat

Hi All,
I know how the sealing ring goes in. I installed a sealing ring #83953 for a 270/270t gear box and it leaked also part of the seal surface washer was rough and could have wore the seal enough to cause the oil to leak into the u-joint bellow-- I have a 1973-74-- 275a gear box and it calls for a sealing ring #853607. Is there a difference in these 2 sealing rings? I have ordered a new seal surface washer and a 275a #853607 sealing ring. I will use a magnifying glass to examine the wear on the teeth. Your thoughts please

I am in Atlanta Georgia--not any dealers around here that want to work on old Volvo penta's . I have a pdf file ---owners service manual on 270 and can get pdf file on 280. I can dye the gear teeth for print match but it looks like the gear teeth match up in the middle like they are suppose to
thanks,
tmcboat

I have oem pdf ( 3.5 meg) of the 280 shop manual real handy. PM me with your email address if you're interested.

Back