Logo

MC-1 Right Trim Ram line stripped! Help!!

LX Kid

Regular Contributor
I was replacing the 10w-30 oil in the trim pump and bleeding the line at the right ram fitting. Upon replacing the line to the ram it stripped out. I've known, for some time, that that female fitting was not so good. It finally stripped out. Does anyone know of a repair to the female threads or do I have to replace the ram? Seems like something could be done to salvage the ram.

It "seems" that there could/should be some sort of self thread cutting insert that might be utilized. I don't know it the bolt, at the bottom, is a secondary place that could be utilized or just a plug. I'll have to investigate it.

20160430_084507_resized_zpsbdhrrx4f.jpg

Last edited:
rethread hole to next size up and use a bushing that fits the new threads and screws into body and has female threads that fit the hydraulic fitting.

rethread hole to next size up and use a bushing that fits the new threads and screws into body and has female threads that fit the hydraulic fitting.

I'd guess that would be a 7/16 x 5/16 24tpi double flare fitting if they make one. If not as you said.

I guess there will be no sea trial on Monday! Drat!!!!!

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough to find a new old stock starboard side ram tube and a rebuild kit for a total of $75. Probably money well spent. I disassembled my of ram and found the nut was frozen to the ram shaft. There are three o-rings, on the inside of the large nut, that just got hard on the shaft and is why the ram was moving so "slow." I plugged off the two hydraulic lines to test the port side ram and it goes up and down like new. For general info I was wrong about the size of line threads. It's actually 3/8x24 Tpi instead of 5/16 x 24 tpi.

New parts are probably coming by this weekend.

Last edited:
Back