Logo

Struggling out of the hole

cacl25

I have a 2007 crusader in a 2001 25 Carolina classic. I've had some work done recently, including having my senders replaced. I filled the boat up with fuel to run it (there has been about 1/3 tank most of the winter).

The boat runs fine at idle, and also after it gets in plane, but getting out of the hole was a struggle. Couldn't go over 4200 rpm's. No problem exceeding that after plane.

I don't know when the last time the racor fuel filter was changed, so I am starting there. I'll also look at the strainers leaving the tank for clogs. Anyone have any idea what else it could be? Hoping it's a fuel issue and not an engine issue.

Is WOT normal rpm once on plane? If so, that clears ignition, and fuel supply. It could be low rpm, high throttle is getting a rich mixture. When was the last tune up?

Yeah. Runs like a top after getting on plane. Although I never did attempt go to wot except when trying to get in plane. I bought the boat a year ago and have never had a tune up. I did change risers and spark plugs last fall. That's it.

Last edited:
Not being there, it's hard to tell. I'm not sure your expectations. YOu won't ever get top RPM during hole shots. The boat is always in top gear, with some prop slip. I don't get over 3500 rpm at WOT until well after the boat planes.

I understand and thanks for the help. I'll get a tune up and change the filter and go from there. To be clear, the boat has always been quick out of the hole. Last sat it was not. Like 15 seconds compared to 5 historically. At one point in the day I had to have my crew come up to the helm with tabs and out drive trimmed down.

Last edited:
i know WOT at top speed sounds rather aggressive, but it is the single best indicator of ignition advance, compression, and fuel delivery. A V8 will drop about 400rpm for each cylinder that's not firing at WOT.
I'm sure you checked the easy stuff, like free water in the bilge. :)

I did! First thing I looked for was water in the bilge. It ran the exact same speed at cruise as it always has. Guess I'll do the stuff that should be done anyway that I've put off and go from there. Thanks for the help Dave!

ok...maybe fuel has gone bad....the advertised 'life' is 90 days without a stabilizer....degraded fuel won't let the engine make fuel power and it will driver the ecu 'crazy' trying to compensate (if the timing is computer controlled)...

the other thing would be growth on the bottom, especially down there as it grows all year....

Hoping it's something like that. Changing filter, adding fuel stabilizer and going from there. It's dry stored so no growth.

Ok. Little embarrassing. I noticed this am my outdrive was trimmed up slightly. I went to trim it down all the way and it only goes up. So.... That explains the lack of ease getting in plane out of the hole but great ride on plane. I thought I had it trimmed down all the way but it wasn't. About as good a problem as you can have. I do have clean filters now. Thanks for the feedback.

Back