Logo

Chrysler distributor key

300hb

Regular Contributor
Hello All,

I'm having the shaft on a Mallory distributor machined and wanted to know if the key at the bottom needs to be cut in relation to the direction the rotor is pointing on a VR type ignition...???

Jack

A Mopar "stock" distributor shaft key is not in line with the rotor on a big block. Then too, it really doesn't matter where #1 on the cap is as long as you understand where your #1 cylinder is on the engine when on the compression stroke. Do make sure you have enough room for the distributor to allow for timing adjust. Note that a Mallory dual point doesn't line up the same as a stocker. Not for sure of orientation for a small block.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 33
So would I line up the rotor to cylinder 1 by moving the cam gear then attach the wires accordingly...???
It's electronic BTW...

Small_Block_Mopar_Firing_Order.gifMallory firing order.jpg

For aftermarket to work, all that is actually necessary is to drop the distributor in on the #1 cylinder compression stroke at TDC. Your rotor will point to the "new" #1 on the distributor cap. Start there with #1 plug wire and follow the firing order around the cap one wire at a time tracing to the cylinder as you go to be sure.

If you really want get #1 back to the same as stock orientation on the cap (as I see in your last post), it would be necessary to index the distributor drive (I believe your terminology is "cam gear"), the required amount.

Then too, if you are going to machine a drive flat on a shaft you can locate it where ever you want. You could make it the same as the stocker.

I would've never thought that an replacement dist would be any different than OEM being I never
changed one out but I'm glad I asked since the one I took out was also aftermarket and I never
thought to mark in when I replaced the cam

I remember that thread.... how could I forget...! but couldn't find it.
I was expecting Rick to bail me out.... or worse....;P

Thanks Again...!!!
Jack

Back