Logo

EZLoader Trailer jumps

I have an older EXLoader trailer, a 15 U 1650 built in 1979 according to EZLoader. I have a 14ft Aluminum boat on it. It seems very light and whenever I pass over railroad tracks or other like place, the trailer seems to jump. I go about 5-10 mph over the tracks. What can I do to make it not want to jump all over? Going slow hasn't helped. Has new tires, new grease and bearing buddies and does not have brakes.

you probably are going to have to live with it if its a up and down bounce...the trailer springs are probably to support a larger load than you have..you may check tongue weight and move the boat to obtain about 10% of the total of the boat and trailer...for example if the whole rig weighs 2k pounds then you want 200 pounds tongue weight...if you have to move the boat towards the rear to attain this the watch your tires for scalping....

you probably are going to have to live with it if its a up and down bounce...the trailer springs are probably to support a larger load than you have..you may check tongue weight and move the boat to obtain about 10% of the total of the boat and trailer...for example if the whole rig weighs 2k pounds then you want 200 pounds tongue weight...if you have to move the boat towards the rear to attain this the watch your tires for scalping....

Thank you Papyson. With my boat, gear and motor, I may be pushing 700lbs on that trailer. It is an up and down bounce, so I can live with it.

It looks like you like are in fresh water. If it really bothers you then consider fabricating a setup for installing small shock absorbers at an angle between the axel and frame, then install softer springs.

make sure the bow of that boat is not bouncing up and down on that trailer...it must be up against the stop and secure and move only with the trailer..a bouncing bow will result in a uncomfortable tow..

That's A LOT of jumps - good for ya. At Campbell I was with C/1/506th PIR. Spent two tours in the land of the little green snakes - first tour MACV with an ARVN strike battalion. Second tour with 1st Cav. Went in in June 1966. Got out in September 1977.

make sure the bow of that boat is not bouncing up and down on that trailer...it must be up against the stop and secure and move only with the trailer..a bouncing bow will result in a uncomfortable tow..

She is secure to the stop. I have two heavy tie down straps on her and she does not move on the trailer at all. Trailer does pull real nice tho. Very happy otherwise.

Ayuh,.... How many leaves in the springs,..??

Take 1 out, 'n lower the load valve to make it less stiff, so the springs give, rather than the whole wagon jumpin' up,....

Ayuh,.... How many leaves in the springs,..??

Take 1 out, 'n lower the load valve to make it less stiff, so the springs give, rather than the whole wagon jumpin' up,....

Offhand I do not remember how many springs there are, but thinking 3 each side. Trailer is rated for 1650lbs according to Ezloader. Unfortunately I am about 950 miles from home right now for work.

I do like that idea. Thank you Bondo

I have changed the tires on the trailer, they were looking a little tattered. Took her out and noticed the jumping has stopped. I also greased the bearing buddies. Coincidence or were the tires the probable cause?

it could be the position of the boat on the trailer position is borderline..watch the new tires for any signs of scalping..if the old tires or the new ones show the problem try moving the boat forward on the trailer 4- 6 inches..

it could be the position of the boat on the trailer position is borderline..watch the new tires for any signs of scalping..if the old tires or the new ones show the problem try moving the boat forward on the trailer 4- 6 inches..

This boat is as far forward as it gets, up against the bow rest. I have two straps to hold the boat to trailer that hook on the trailer and go over the boat to other side of trailer. May be a few years before I would notice any scalping, as I don't get a lot of time to take her out with my work schedule and always working far from home.

I learned this the hard way when I added trim tabs...to keep the tabs off the triler runners I moved the bow rest towards the rear of the trailer about 5 inches...it scalped tire in 150 miles...to the point I had to replace them...moved it back and no more problems..verified the cause of the problem with a guy that uses lots of trailers in his business...

I learned this the hard way when I added trim tabs...to keep the tabs off the triler runners I moved the bow rest towards the rear of the trailer about 5 inches...it scalped tire in 150 miles...to the point I had to replace them...moved it back and no more problems..verified the cause of the problem with a guy that uses lots of trailers in his business...

Experience is the best teacher. I only have about 75 miles on these tires, so will be keeping an eye on them. The bow rest is at the factory set point it appears, so hopefully all is good. Thank you.

Back