Logo

1993 Evinrude 60 hp charging problems

Frank OBerry

I have been reading every post i can about testing rectifier regulator and stator. I tested the rectifier with ohm meter set on diode test it has two yellow leads from stator both tested ok the gray lead for the tach im not sure what it should read. It also has a purple lead i saw nothing about it except maybe it get keyed power when key on. The staor two yellow leads had 0.5 ohms and continuity. Visual check of what i can see of stator doesn't show over heating. Brand new batteries dual setup with isolator switch. The only thing i didn't check was the purple wire while the rectifier was still hooked up to see if it was getting power if that's what it's supposed to get. Anyone have any ideas? I'm disables and don't really have the money to take it in to a shop or to start throwing parts at it.

Thanks so muck for your input on my problem i did all these test before and all passed except in the other test i found there was nothing about putting the positive to the body of the rectifier and negative to yellow field wires. It failed that test like it's not getting a ground internally.This rectifier has 5 leads one red. one purple, one grey,and two yellow the two yellow are field leads red is output to charge batteries grey is the tach lead but i have no idea what the purple lead is for so just in case i put the red lead from meter to it as possible ground and black lead to both yellow leads and nothing. S with it failing a test for ground it must be bad don't you think? Thanks again

Not sure if that test is definitive. The rectifier must have a good ground. Normally on a marine engine the purple lead is to the ignition key switch for accessories and ignition.

Click on "Forum Home" at the top of this page, then click on Johnson/Evinrude outboards and post your question there.

Back