Logo

ss hex bolt head woren inside can't use allen wrench

tmcboat

Regular Contributor
Hi All,
trying to remove clamp ring from gear box on a 275-- 3 bolts came out--but last 2 1/2 inch hex bolt won't come out. I used jb weld last night to hold allen wrench in hex head socket .can I heat up the clamp ring area where the bolt is or will that hurt something. Can I meg weld the allen wrench on to the ss hex bolt head or will that hurt bearings ect?
thanks,
tmcboat

It's unfortunate that we see/read threads like this AFTER the FACT!

Always.... always.... always remember that Heat is your friend...... Repeat ... Heat is Your Friend!

No matter how good the transmission/clamping collar/cap screws look to me, I have always used either Propane or Mapp Gas heat at the main gear case where the "thread inserts" are installed. Heat will gently expand the area, and will give us a much better chance at extraction.

OK...... here's your next step if you want to save your very expensive and correctly shimmed clamping collar.

You will pull the top cover off.
You will remove the shift mechanism.
(this gives your machinist a perpendicular surface to work from)
You will take the transmission to a machinist who has a milling machine at his disposal.
He will clamp the unit to the work table.
He will then center his cutter directly over the bad cap screw bore.
He will then gently cut and remove ONLY the socket head portion of the cap screw as to NOT touch the very delicate sealing washing shoulder.

If need be, he will take the bolt shank out..... all but the last 1/2" or so (for later extraction).

It may cost you $80 or so for the machine work.........., but if you attempt to drill this out, and if your drill bit wanders any, you will risk damage to this very delicate shoulder, and you'll be angry at yourself for not having done this!

Last edited:
I had the same problem and took mine to an automotive machine shop. The charged me $100 to destroy the gearbox by drilling straight through. Luckily (?), I was able to get another gearbox from Rick for $500. Expensive lesson!

That was 6 or 7 years ago.

Joe, thanks for sharing that..... and you are no doubt NOT alone.

This photo was taken at my friend's machine shop while he was removing a bad cap screw head for me.
This is one of many that Mike has done for me (customers attempting to do this w/out heat)

Milling Machine ONLY..... otherwise, it will be expensive! :mad:

Attachments

• Milling machine 3.jpg
    Milling machine 3.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 40
Good news, i used jbweld on allen wrench and bolt came out-- what do i look for next --bearings, gears ect.
Thanks,
tmcboat

Back