Logo

Steam from pee hole

bloodintheboat

1980 Merc 110 9.8hp

I changed my impeller about a month ago.
Motors been running fine.

Howeever today, I'm trolling on the lake and the wind picks up so I open throttle up. Pee stream goes from steady stream to a mist then eventually steam. Motor shuts off itself shortly after.

i start it back up on first pull. Peeing a nice stream at idle. Rev up and same thing happens: stream becomes mist next steam then outboard shuts off.

i get home, checked impeller and it was good. Flushed water up water tube. Flushed water down tell tale.

I open up thermostat housing and there is no thermostat?
I go buy one at the store (148 degrees) , put it in. Now took it to the lake.

so with the new thermostat, it eventually does the same thing as before.

Whats going on?

Drop the lower unit again,pull the thermostat and blow some compressed air in through the opening and down through the block,see if anything comes out

Drop the lower unit again,pull the thermostat and blow some compressed air in through the opening and down through the block,see if anything comes out

Just did that. Air flows more freely from top to bottom than bottom to top. Might be something clogging in water tube or where power head is

I believe there is a plastic/rubber grommet at the top of the water tube,could be wrong,it may have become displaced or melted because of an overheat

Before pulling all apart,drop lower unit,shine a light up there and see if it's distorted or just not in place

The water tube don't look distorted and it's not out of place. It's pretty stiff, doesn't wobble much.
any idea how to clean water tube without taking off the head?

Turn motor upside down,fill block and tube with a mixture of 50:50 water and vinegar and leave it for a day or two to work on any salt/dirt.Put hose on tube, wash out and blow through with air

That plastic washer at the top of the tube melts on severe overheat.----It then blocks waterflow.---------------Factory replacement is a better material now.

I removed the power head today.
found some dirt, sand, and salt buildup at the top end of water tube. I dug them out and back flushed water down the tube. but water isnt going down fast as it should be. i inspected the hole and got some pictures to share with you all

Last edited:
Is it copper or plastic? Copper, its water tube deformed,maybe force a punch down and open tube wider.Plastic,which I'm thinking it is,it's either 10 or 11.Replace

Is it copper or plastic? Copper, its water tube deformed,maybe force a punch down and open tube wider.Plastic,which I'm thinking it is,it's either 10 or 11.Replace

turned out to be the copper tube thats deformed. strange how that could happen. it was a pain to pull out, i had to drill it out.
about to head to hardware store and grab a 5ft copper tube to replace.

everything should be well now.

Back