Logo

I might be in a pickle here but....

JoshInWV

This evening, I purchased an 80's Evinrude 40HP motor to replace my 9.9 Evinrude because who wants to be able to go fast on the Ohio river... I do. I figured that since I am staying with Evinrude, the current controls on my 1988 SHOULD work with the 1982 motor. Well, I got it home thinking that it should be a simple swap on my boat. I look for the ID tag on the motor to purchase a book. It doesn't have one, and the funny thing is, the lower half of the engine has a bright blue fresh paint on it (almost like the ID tag was removed and painted over) The guy tells me it is a 1982 40HP motor, but I can't seem to find anything that supports this.

Is there anything that I can do to identify this motor? I am sitting here thinking that I hope I didn't pick up a stolen motor. That's $750 down the drain then.

Thank you in advance for anything y'all can provide me.

- Josh

Last edited:
Can you post a pic or two of it ?? The ID tag is usually on the stern bracket. You may want to have a "talk" with the guy that sold it to you.

Last edited:
Can you post a pic or two of it ?? The ID tag is usually on the stern bracket. You may want to have a "talk" with the guy that sold it to you.

Certainly can!

ZwfD0a6G

In your last pic are there any numbers on that plug you see in the power head ??

There are two lines. The top line says 40555C, the bottom says J0004025

I don't like making assumptions, but I am thinking the '40' references the HP of the motor.

Last edited:
You are awesome, thank you SO much. My 9.9 is an E10ELCCD, is there a way to figure out what model my motor is like that from the plug information?

Back