Logo

Painting of Outboards (Oh what fun!) Johnson/Evinrude

OMCNUT

Not quite a repair but definitely restoration related.

I'm in the process of prepping 6 engines for paint and waiting for warmer weather up here in the Northeast but need a little advice for paint sourcing. I have been looking into getting a nice spray gun from Eastwood and need to know what paint I'll be using that's best suited for outboards and their harsh environment before buying the spray gun. Has anyone gone about projects like this before and if so, where did you source your paint from? I did a 70 HP Johnson last year for a friend and used the Moeller rattle cans with a good result but for the projects I'm getting into, I want to have the real gun so I can lay down a much more consistent coating. I'm familiar with the basics of using a spray gun but the paint sourcing is my dilemma. Everyone says use the Moeller cans or we don't have anything for your application.

Also a side not, I'd also be using this spray gun for shooting gel-cote and wanted to know if there were particular tip sizes I should be aiming to get when I start looking at buying the gun?

Looking forward to seeing what people say, thanks in advance!

HVLP gun If your painting bare aluminum you want a good etching primer and apply alot of thin coats according to the manufactures recomendations and thin according to specs also. There are really good gel coats you just roll on but pay close attention to prime and prep before you apply the topcoat. HVLP high volume low pressure and use a good water/oil separator at the gun from the compressor. Also a good tack cote is real important and allow proper cure times between coats

Back