Logo

1992 Mercury 75hp Trim issues

pismo10

Contributing Member
Before launching for the summer the trim up sounded(normal fast high pitched whine) fine but did not move. Trim down sounded abnormal, low pitched struggling grown and did not move. So no up or down but trim motor runs.

In water with some forward momentum, trim down started to work but not up. In hard reverse trim up still did not work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much..

You definitely are low on fluid. You can manually tilt any Mecury Motor by locating the manual release screw on the side of the power trim. You will need a big flat head screwdriver and be careful not to break the screw it is usually plastic. It will be located on the side of the motor just above water level. You can turn it 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and manually lift the motor up until you can lock the engine tilt lock in place. Make sure you try to tilt the motor all the way up before pulling the fill plug. Then fill it up, put the cap back on and trim it up and down a few times and check the level again. The second issue is why is it this low? Look for leaks on the rams or fluid dripping somewhere. You may need to have it repaired, but this will get you by for now.

Anyhow. I tilted up all the way, retighten vent plug, filled reservoir, it was pretty full. Down works well, up not so much. Works better at top, up works not at all toward the bottom where I need it. If up works and then I touch down for a second, up will not work anymore, just spins. Works better up and down if I stand on it. Still a mess..Hear lots of air still. Trim motor spins along fine up and down.

How full do i need the reservoir? Do I need to raise the aft of the boat above the bow to get more oil in? Tough to fill that thing.

Thoughts?

Thanks

After much fussing around, I bit the bullet and got a whole new assembly, almost a grand but all new.. Easy install, 15 minutes and back in service..

Back